Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,006   Online: 762

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The mere thought of Iceland makes me salivate uncontrollably.

Shooter
    35mm
    Be careful, there's a storm coming in this weekend.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes its name is Bill and he is something to be careful with. I am sure they are very well prepared knowing our friend from Michigan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, not including airfare from anywhere in the US, what is the rough or average cost for an Iceland trip like the ones you take? I know it's highly loaded and requires speculation but it interests me if I can take at least an 8x10.

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how much it costs but when I do it, and I plan to, I will spend no less than 2 full months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan, if you plan to spend two months in Iceland you should plan on bringing several large barrels of money. Even cheap B&Bs run close to $100US per night, though you can pay less for a sleeping-bag room. Gas is around $8/gallon, but the cars are microscopic and quite fuel-efficient. Everything is expensive. My wife and I have been here for a week and wonder how the Icelanders can afford to live.

On the other hand, the landscape is simply stunning, even with the drizzle and rain we've had for about half our visit. Almost everyone here speaks English. We want to come back, but perhaps in July next time.
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 09-01-2013 at 10:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curt, the biggest problem you'll have with an 8x10 is wind. We were along the southern coast yesterday, it was absolutely gorgeous and the wind was blowing close to 60mph. I brought a Mamiya 7 on this trip and am glad I did - messing with a 4x5 would have been a lot of work and frustration on some days. I'm sure you can get days when an 8x10 won't blow over, but we didn't have many during this trip. I just wish I'd brought a 65mm for the M7, my usual 80mm was just a little tight at times, and the 43mm is very wide. I hardly used the 150mm and would probably leave it home next trip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Just out of curiosity, not including airfare from anywhere in the US, what is the rough or average cost for an Iceland trip like the ones you take? I know it's highly loaded and requires speculation but it interests me if I can take at least an 8x10.

Thanks,
    Curt
    Curt: Look at the more info link in Schwab's OP. It should have all the info on this trip including the price. Airfare was on us, but was comparable to UK from USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am interested in following the experiences of those who have participated in this tour; I am considering the 2014 tour if it is being held around the same time. What we know here in Australia is that Reykjavik, virtually all of Iceland, is not a cheap place to play unless you are happy to rough it; estimate of costings of tour with Australia-London-Reykjavic transfers is $7,000. This is the upper extreme; friends have been to RIK and reported it as "expensive and narrow of choice". By the sound of Bill's itinerary about accommodation, it is basic, but comfortable. I see that this year's tour has departed in the last couple of days.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-02-2013 at 12:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Curt: Look at the more info link in Schwab's OP. It should have all the info on this trip including the price. Airfare was on us, but was comparable to UK from USA.
    Thanks, and I apologize for not looking at the very first post.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin