Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,475   Posts: 1,644,331   Online: 938

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    to alternative
    Umut,

I wasn't at APIS but about a year ago I was doing quite a bit of research
    on contemporary approaches to the Woodburytype process. In the end, I
    decided to go with another process for my project but I was able to put
    together some interesting information on some of the contemporary
    approaches to the process.

Some people to look up might be Nicolai Klimko and Andrew Atkinson. Nicolai
    has come up with a contemporary woodburytype process that makes use of cnc
    carved plates in place of lead plates made under the pressure of the press.
    Nicolai was very helpful to me when I was researching some of my options.
    Andrew was a part of a research project that investigated the use of
    photopolymer plates in place of lead plates made under pressure. I tried
    contacting Andrew through a Montclaie.edu email address I found for him but
    I was not able to reach him so a working email might need to be tracked
    down if he's to be reached.

Best,
    Francesco
    www.francescofragomeni.com
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Peter again , I opened a thread at alternative processes list and Here are 3 posts

Post A:
    The APIS presentation on Woodburytype was by James Hajicek, now retired from ASU in Tempe, AZ. One of his graduate students, Joey Rheaume, was also involved. I have an email address for Joey, but I think it is from an old job. He now works at the Center for Creative Photography, University of Arizona, and can probably be contacted there. James can best be reached through Art Intersection.

Post B:
    At this year's 2013 APIS, the woodburytype talk was given by Barret Oliver here: http://www.twopalms.us/artists/chuck...types/10%C2%A0
    Barret printed woodburytypes for Chuck Close and is the author of the book on the process.

Post C:
    I believe James is also a member of this list although posts infrequently.
    He posses an extraordinary wealth of knowledge and would be an excellent
    resource to tap if you can reach him.

Umut
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -“–“-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite the answer but a snoop and search around Sydney Powerhouse Museum site might find something useful. I have seen Woodburytypes from their collection and, as someone posted, Woodbury has an Australian connection. Sydney CBD had at one time a city wide high pressure system and I wonder whether he utilised this for the presses which I understand are used.
    http://www.powerhousemuseum.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why did Constantinople get the works?
    It's nobody's business but the Turks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Woodburytype has been commercially revived using traditional lead plate intaglio in NYC. It's don't know how they got around the hazmat and
    safety issues, but must have some kind of excellent fume extraction. It would be impossible to do this legally around here. I did discuss doing it
    on epoxy with laser etching, with those who specialize in customized laser photographic processes, but again, the hazards of working with this
    kind of chemistry is a bit unrealistic also. CNC sounds way too crude to me to replicate the exquisite subtlety of the original process. These
    particular folks also do a lot of Chuck Close's commissioned pieces, so it would be interesting to visually compare the results some day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Drew, where in NYC has it been commercially revived, it would be interesting to contact them, is it the Two Palms Press?
    Not too sure about the fume extraction, if the lead was bough commercially planed and smooth - say for instance the type used for roofing you wouldn't need to melt it, I'm assuming it's only small runs so the about of effort needed to recycle the lead into a new plate would not be efficient. For something as novel as a small run of WBT prints the plate would be kept as a keepsake? The exhibitions on Chuck Close's work had the plates framed and hanging beside the prints.

If you used epoxy and laser would it no longer be a continuous tone image?
    The laser would not be able to provide smooth contone as it's hitting a point pixel by pixel and not on a continuous curve.

Thanks for the replies.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try emailing the folks at Bostick & Sullivan - they are the ones who organize APIS. If anyone has videos/transcripts of the presentations, they would.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks TheFlyingCamera

Pete

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greetings Pete , You may wish to correspond with Alan Elliot, Archivist of The Melbourne Camera Club , Melbourne , Australia ; he has researched 'Woodbury' in Australia'
    his email is :- alanelli@optusnet.com.au and tell him Barrie Bunning gave you his address.
    ... he is a wealth of knowledge , good luck. ..... Barrie B.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Laser etching is actually far more precise for contone results, but I'm referring to some very expensive proprietary devices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin