Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,049   Online: 754

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ok well I think this thread has reached it's end for me, the questions I had and information I was hoping to gain didn't completely come through but through friends and family advice I've been able to decide, thanks for the few who understood what I needed to take my next steps, and let see what the next two years bring.

As for me, I'm unsubscribing from this thread, it's been more negative and less helpful than I had hoped.

Continue to converse on your own of course, but I won't see responses directed toward me.

Be well.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think school will be an excellent life experience for you.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ok well I think this thread has reached it's end for me, the questions I had and information I was hoping to gain didn't completely come through but through friends and family advice I've been able to decide, thanks for the few who understood what I needed to take my next steps, and let see what the next two years bring.

As for me, I'm unsubscribing from this thread, it's been more negative and less helpful than I had hoped.

Continue to converse on your own of course, but I won't see responses directed toward me.

Be well.
    Those negative people were the only ones telling you the truth. There is no money to be made doing photography, especially fine art photography, today. There are virtually no jobs; you will have to start your own business, which is very expensive and success depends more on who you know than your photography skills. I'm in my second year teaching literature and history at a local high school. I went back to school for my MA so I could do that. My bachelors in fine art was worthless. As a high school teacher, I make more in a day than the average professional photographer makes in a week where I live. I'm sure you know, teachers are not rich.

Your proud refusal to listen to the advice YOU asked for from people who have worked in the real world in the industry is not a sign of intellect. I see the same stupidity in many of my high school kids, but most of them, fortunately, are a lot smarter than you are. There are some, like you, who come to class every day thinking that they know everything and the teachers who tell them otherwise are assholes. Some of them will end up in prison, many of the girls will end up on welfare. Such attitudes make a person unemployable. They're not just stupid, they're proud of it, just like you are.

After you've gone $25,000 in debt for a worthless degree, come back and tell us how that worked out. As some of us tried to tell you, $25k is a lot for school. My undergrad degree from Indiana University cost less than that, and it was a bachelors degree, not an associates. $25k may not seem like much, after all an average new car costs that. Try paying it off making $8 an hour, and it might as well be a million dollars. Good luck. Its all we can offer you since you've rejected the real and useful knowledge that's been freely given you.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

I'm ok, I just think some people can be so cruel, who says that to a person??
    If you're talking about ROL's comments, well, they were harsh, very harsh, but I think he wanted to get your attention with them (which he certainly succeeded in doing). I don't think his point was entirely out of order - you have so far exhibited a tendency to bounce around without focus, and to solicit advice then not listen to it. This is not a recipe for success in an academic environment. I wish you all the best with regards to your academic endeavor, and I hope it puts you where you want to be. While you are in the process of applying to Paier, I'd find a local friend who can help you with your portfolio and work on putting together a really kick-ass portfolio, because you'll need one for your school application most likely, even for a 2-year associates program.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Those negative people were the only ones telling you the truth. There is no money to be made doing photography, especially fine art photography, today. There are virtually no jobs; you will have to start your own business, which is very expensive and success depends more on who you know than your photography skills. I'm in my second year teaching literature and history at a local high school. I went back to school for my MA so I could do that. My bachelors in fine art was worthless. As a high school teacher, I make more in a day than the average professional photographer makes in a week where I live. I'm sure you know, teachers are not rich.

Your proud refusal to listen to the advice YOU asked for from people who have worked in the real world in the industry is not a sign of intellect. I see the same stupidity in many of my high school kids, but most of them, fortunately, are a lot smarter than you are. There are some, like you, who come to class every day thinking that they know everything and the teachers who tell them otherwise are assholes. Some of them will end up in prison, many of the girls will end up on welfare. Such attitudes make a person unemployable. They're not just stupid, they're proud of it, just like you are.

After you've gone $25,000 in debt for a worthless degree, come back and tell us how that worked out. As some of us tried to tell you, $25k is a lot for school. My undergrad degree from Indiana University cost less than that, and it was a bachelors degree, not an associates. $25k may not seem like much, after all an average new car costs that. Try paying it off making $8 an hour, and it might as well be a million dollars. Good luck. Its all we can offer you since you've rejected the real and useful knowledge that's been freely given you.
    did you expect it to end any differently ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not surprised. Almost all of the OP's threads follow the same pattern only this time I held my tongue. Much like Albert Einstein said about insanity.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post

I'm glad I didn't have teachers like you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Speaking as someone who has shot movies you may have seen, print and telivision ads you have almost certainly seen, and and having made a comfortable, and times what almost anyone would consider insanely lucrative living with cameras, retiring comfortably at the age of 48 (not entirely due to photography) here's my 2 cents. Very few photographers actually work for someone else. Most are self employed. Commercially, you live and die by your credits and your reel and/or portfolio. Not once in thirty years have I ever been asked where I went to school. I simply learned how to please clients and deliver what they wanted. Not what I wanted, not what someone told me to make, not what I learned somewhere to make. What they wanted. That's where the living is at in photography. As far as art, it is possible to make a small fortune, but usually when you start with a large one. The few actually successful photographic artists you see are shameless self promoters, gregarious networkers, great marketers, and shamelessly aggressive business people. All of those things. All the time.

The best advice I can give is to get a degree in business, and go into business as a photographer, if you are still interested once you have it. I mean that sincerely. It would be far more prudent, and you will have a much greater chance at success.

This isn't what I think. It's what I know.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 05-18-2014 at 09:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin