Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,588   Posts: 1,545,869   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Im currently working on my BFA at Salisbury University. Next is my MFA and im clueless where. But i look forward to teaching at the college level and want to open a studio. Bottomline is i know i want to teach and require the paper for it. Think short and long term. If you need the degree, get it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Stone,

Take a look at: http://bit.ly/1sXMLNL

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Photography School Options - GASP! Stone might finally learn something!

Good info so far. Gandolfi, you're always an inspiration, and the price sounds right, and your student body is never short of models it seems. I'll consider it, but it would help to have the Associates, as others have said.

I'm also more adverse to learning a LOT of academia... I think I would want to learn photography first and then maybe business management once I have my associates in photography because that I can take night classes while working, but FOR ME I can't do art and work and school at the same time, I need to focus.

PS, my screen name (which won't change as it's my online handle everywhere) was actually something created a very long time ago that was part of an attempt at manifest destiny, in which I had been interested in becoming a fashion photographer and shooting in New York City, however I've discovered that I really truly despise New York City, it's dirty and loud and I'm much more at home in open spaces of greenery, so I'm a lot less interested in going to school in New York City, and I actually live in Connecticut believe it or not, and only have lived in New York City and tiny spurts and couldn't wait to leave, so unfortunately that also means that it's very difficult to pick up small photography gigs as there aren't as many in Connecticut as there are in the city.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Study business and get into stock trading. And whatever you do, stay the hell away from the printing business. And as far as photography as a career, not me brother. Photography might be fun, but when it's work, it's WORK, in the 4-letter sense of the word. BTW--don't blame you a bit on the New York City bit. Never been there, never will. New York's best days are long behind it.
    The printing business is a lot like the photography biz. I print for commercial customers. But when you work for ad agencies, those are people you can never satisfy. Most of them are kooks.
    Get into business and trade stock. That's the ticket. People who work with their hands never have anything but poverty and sorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone- I'm glad to see this post from you. I think it's a great idea. Your enthusiasm, and desire, deserve the chance to find out where photography can take you.
    Visit Paier. Talk to the students and faculty. See the facilities. Check the kind of work students are doing.It sounds like it could be a good fit for you. I did a BFA in Photography. As much as people may dismiss it, there's something about being in a creative, learning environment on a daily basis.

PS- Even with my BFA, I'd jump at the chance to study with Emil... I'm sure a few weeks working with him would be incredibly inspiring.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stone ole' buddy--I'm going to give you the best advice you'll ever get. Go talk to your Dad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hallmark Institute of Photography in Turners Falls, Massachusetts, [...]the guy I spoke to sounded like a real salesman, and he kept repeating that they were one of the top three photography schools in the world,[...] but he also mentioned that they did have a lot of job placement programs, and that 90% of their students get placed directly out of that program right out of school.
    Never heard of them, so did the obvious thing, googled the name. Top hit was: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/hallma...less-sc-820356

If they need a salesman to sucker you in with grandiose promises of snake oil, it's a pretty sure bet there is a scam in it somewhere. "Top three in the world" my

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Stone ole' buddy--I'm going to give you the best advice you'll ever get. Go talk to your Dad.
    My dad's advice has always been to find a rich woman who only wants to worship me and make life easy... Not very helpful...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Never heard of them, so did the obvious thing, googled the name. Top hit was: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/hallma...less-sc-820356

If they need a salesman to sucker you in with grandiose promises of snake oil, it's a pretty sure bet there is a scam in it somewhere. "Top three in the world" my
    That was actually my impression after talking to him for a while, at first it sounded good but the more he talked and the less he allowed me to ask questions and more suspicious I got and towards the end it just sounded like a big old sales gig.

I'm glad my judge of character and suspicions were correct. Thanks, I had planned to do more googling anyway figured I would ask you guys here first before I did some serious research as sometimes it's better to hear from people rather than just read the Internet, but I trust ripoff report in general, has a website they actually do a good job of weeding through the truth, and so thanks for posting this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My dad's advice has always been to find a rich woman who only wants to worship me and make life easy... Not very helpful...
    Actually, that's not bad advice. I was kinda thinking along the same lines, but didn't want to sound crass by saying it. Seriously, when the chips are down, your Pop will point you the right way. You're from Connecticut, not some podunck like Marshville NC, where even the parents are sorry as the children. You Pop can't live in a place like Connecticut and be a no-count bum who won't point his kid the right way.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin