Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,770   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Photography School Options - GASP! Stone might finally learn something!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Actually, that's not bad advice. I was kinda thinking along the same lines, but didn't want to sound crass by saying it. Seriously, when the chips are down, your Pop will point you the right way. You're from Connecticut, not some podunck like Marshville NC, where even the parents are sorry as the children. You Pop can't live in a place like Connecticut and be a no-count bum who won't point his kid the right way.
    Funny you say that... Had to rent my apartment to my dad for $300/month (at a huge loss obviously) for 2 years because he is kinda a no-count bum, I love him, but, he made a lot more mistakes than I have, and he's a genius, physicist, theoretical physical chemist, engineer, and I make more than him as a washed up no talent actor/photographer who now lives with his mom again. The bank won't even take my burnt house (that I used to rent him) and didn't even show up to the foreclosure hearing, so the judge wanted to dismiss the case, and I was meeting with the judge to give the bank more time in order to finish the foreclosure action, and the judge looked at me and said "they didn't even show up how can I give them more time I'm sorry but the motion is dismissed" and I'm doing better than him...

But thanks. Not everyone in CT is well off. Still 1st works problems... But still... Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of good influences mostly from my mother in reality, and my father in science and understanding of the world, but still nothing that would help me succeed in life financially from either... Everything I've had (80,000 CC line, multi family property, stock investments, etc) and lost ... in my life has been my own doing, and nothing but discouragement from all my attempts. I just keep pushing onward.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're already a good photographer. What do you expect to learn? 50K for a piece of paper does not sound like a good idea to me. Don't make any rash judgements when things are seemingly at their worst. Assuming you are healthy and not in debt, you are already a hell of a lot better off than many people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    You're already a good photographer. What do you expect to learn? 50K for a piece of paper does not sound like a good idea to me. Don't make any rash judgements when things are seemingly at their worst. Assuming you are healthy and not in debt, you are already a hell of a lot better off than many people.
    getting that piece of paper is a huge deal if it is for a degree in photography ( or art or anything ) it leads to other things.

but then again, sometimes its best to get a day-job that pays the bills and do the creative work in the spare time.
    sanders mcnew is a lawyer by day portraitist by night

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've been up applying to certain places and unfortunately many of the places insist on a minimum of an Associates Degree.
    What kind of jobs are these that your applying for that require at least an associates? Certainly not photography jobs, all that maters there is your portfolio.

If you want to do photography as a living then there are other cheeper ways then going to school. Workshops and online classes would be one way.

So what is it that you want to do?

Do you want to work the other jobs that require at least an associates? Then sure get one an associates in photography since it is something that interests you and you will do it as a hobby out side work.

If it's photography you want to do then take some workshops, find a working photographer to intern for and take a class on running a small business and save yourself all that student loan debt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd second the advice to take business courses. A business Certificate/Degree/Diploma plus a portfolio plus evidence that you like hard work will get you farther than anything that is specific to photography.

Don't discount relatively dry academic learning. If you can succeed in that environment, it means you can handle all sorts of crap, and still satisfy requirements.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to be a photographer, go to school and study photography. I looked at the Paier website. It looks interesting. Their 4 year program has view camera, and alternative, courses. Maybe you can take them as AA electives. Maybe you find the 2 year experience to be beneficial and decide to continue for the 4 year degree (ask if AA credits transfer). Personally, I think you'd thrive in that sort of environment. You're talented and driven. What you've lacked is focus (no pun intended), and have spent too much time chasing magic bullets, and jumping between emulsions/developers/formats/subject matter. You seem to have simplified your photo materials/interests, and you're ready for the next step.
    I think you have a strong, dynamic personality, and would end up being seen as a leader amongst your classmates. As I said, I'd spend a couple hours at Paier. Ask questions... look at the facilities... see what the photo students do/talk about while they're drinking coffee in the common areas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallmark got bought by a private entity a couple of years ago, so it's probably not the same sort of institution it was when your friend went there.

NH Institute of Art has a full degree program and an excellent photography program, but it's not exactly within commuting distance from anywhere in CT. On the + side, it's probably cheaper to live in Manchester than anywhere in CT.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My dad's advice has always been to find a rich woman who only wants to worship me and make life easy... Not very helpful...
    It's practical, loving advice: How to make it in the arts – marry rich. You won't learn it in photography school, though many there are trust fund rich. As evidenced by your forum activity (for those that don't already know, Stone is equally problematic on LFPF), you apparently don't want to learn from others and that would presumably include a "LOT of academia". You will not do well in a structured learning environment. I haven't noticed any particular aptitude in photography. Here's my unexpurgated advice: Jump at Gandolfi's offer and don't look back. Even if you don't discover the photographer or the artist in you, it may take you down a road of to as of yet unknown strengths, if you give yourself over to it. That last phrase is absolutely crucial to your development, whatever path you choose.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A lot of young people are in Stone's boat With 4 year degrees and beyond. It's a crying shame, but things will get better. In the meantime, I'd still say to point towards business and finance and forget "the arts" and all that. There's a jillion young hands with digital cameras out there thinking they're going to be "big time photographer". And they all seem to be shooting the same junk I see on the Yahoo News page and rolling my eyes at every day.
    Study finance, find and marry a rich woman, and take a small allowance from her--nothing extravagant and selfish--and start investing. A good woman won't let you be a spendthrift parasite, but she will be glad to see you make something of what she gave you. And in just a few years, you'll stand on the same ground with her and have her respect. And you'll have your self-respect for the responsible manly way you did something.
    Sorry--just mouthing off. Best wishes Stone ole' buddy. You'll pull a rabbit out of the hat sooner or later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you know the basics, assist for a photographer that is working that you like. A degree is just a piece of paper. Photo degrees are not worth $50k. It's like chefs school. Better work as a chefs apprentice.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin