Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,397   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    I got a great deal on a Hakuba but they don't seem to make them anymore. I wanted another one. I have no idea what to get now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mark, here is the Hakuba web site:
    http://www.hakubausa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Deckled Edge- great advice about the stuff bags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Several years ago I bought a generic bag on sale at B&H that has 2 separate compartments. It was inexpensive and I was inexperienced and didn't know what I really needed. It is difficult to use for many reasons. I am considering buying another one for this trip and would appreciate suggestions? I intend to carry the camera, film and lens in it on the plane.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Several years ago I bought a generic bag on sale at B&H that has 2 separate main compartments and lots of side and front pockets. It was inexpensive and I was inexperienced and didn't know what I really needed. It is difficult to use for many reasons including remembering which compartment contains what, constantly zipping and unzipping, can't easily open the bottom bag with the bag laying flat, etc. I intended it for a medium format camera and it is fairly tight getting everything for a 4x5 in it. I am considering buying another one for this trip and would appreciate suggestions? I intend to carry the camera, film and lens in it on the plane.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Deckled Edge for the advice, especially about the stuffing bags. I hadn't thought about them. Where did you get yours? I really enjoyed your web site and will email you about photographic questions about your migration to large format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Stuff sacks are a standard backpacker's item, but the coated, waterproof ones are most used by kayakers and canoeists, where gear might get wet. In Death Valley it won't be a matter of getting wet so much as getting dusty. Try REI, Campmore, Bass Outlets or any big outdoor retailer for stuff sacks. They come in all sizes, but get small ones to wrap lenses in, medium size for film holders and a bigger one to store your focussing cloth. I also find that an apron with pockets, or a tool belt or vest with many pockets comes in handy where you can't set anything down.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I carry a backpack when hiking but when I settle on a spot to get set up, finding a place to set everything down without risking misplacing meters, filters, etc is often a problem. Wouldn't be without my seven-pocketed cargo pants to hold all sorts of things. The large pockets with zippers, snaps and velcro closures are just the ticket for holding anything smaller than my camera or tripod. They're the perfect mate (or substitute) for a photographer's vest.

Images
    I've done the cargo pants and photogs vest and looked like I had bumps growing all over me and had a hell of a time remembering which pocket I stuffed what into. By the time I got back to the car the camera was the only thing in the back pack everything else was in my pockets.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi,
    Think sand ,sand and more sand!. The dunes could hold one's interest for a long time and are the most interesting when it is windy, like another world. Make sure to think about your workflow when sand is in the air..EC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin