Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,711   Online: 970

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy,

I am working on clearing my schedule to make it....I love that part of the country...could you give us some insight on negs to bring...I'd like to bring a couple with me properly prepared but am not sure if I should expose and develope them with this process in mind... I would think so?

Thanks again
    Dave in Vegas

PS RE: film holders

the checks in the mail

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy

I'm already signed up for the workshop. The confermation came in the mail last Friday. WOO WHOO, goin' to Montana soon... Anyway, this weekend I'm hoping to get out and take some 4x5 and 8x10s. But I'm not sure what density range to develope them to. I've read Phil Davis' BTZS but didn't understand contrast index. I've no problem with log densities and have access to a densitomiter with a blue channel. So what I'd like to know is what density range would fit best.

Thanks

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Sandy,

I am working on clearing my schedule to make it....I love that part of the country...could you give us some insight on negs to bring...I'd like to bring a couple with me properly prepared but am not sure if I should expose and develope them with this process in mind... I would think so?

Thanks again
    Dave in Vegas

PS RE: film holders

the checks in the mail
    Hi Dave,

The carbon process has contrast controls that allow virtually any density range negative to print. I personally make my in-camera negatives for carbon printing with a DR of about 1.75 because this allows me to also print them in kallitype or palladium easily.

If you will tell me what film/developer combination you are using, and your method of develoment, I will suggest a development time that should give you a good printable negative for carbon.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m. dowdall
    Sandy

I'm already signed up for the workshop. The confermation came in the mail last Friday. WOO WHOO, goin' to Montana soon... Anyway, this weekend I'm hoping to get out and take some 4x5 and 8x10s. But I'm not sure what density range to develope them to. I've read Phil Davis' BTZS but didn't understand contrast index. I've no problem with log densities and have access to a densitomiter with a blue channel. So what I'd like to know is what density range would fit best.

Thanks

Michael
    Michael,

As I said to Dave, if you will tell me what film/developer you plan to use I can probably suggest a develoment time that will give a good negative for printing in carbon.

If you are using a traditional non-staining developer just take the reading in Visual channel, and shoot for a DR of about 1.5 - 1.7. If you develop with a staining developer the Blue channel reading will be quite a bit lower than effective printing density. However, a Blue channel reading of about 1.3 will translate into an effective UV density of around 1.6-1.8, depending on developer.

Best,

Sandy

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy

I use FP4+ and Tri-X developed in trays with pyrocat HD. I've been able to nail down the time for Tri-x for silver printing; 7.5 min. 2:2:100 @ 68F 200EI. Not sure about the FP4+ though. I've used 9min 2:2:100 @68F 80EI and got some good negs and some under developed ones. The worst were developed this past weekend. These last ones could be the developer has gone off, it's 8 months old now. Mixing some more is on the list for this weekend as well.

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m. dowdall
    Sandy

I use FP4+ and Tri-X developed in trays with pyrocat HD. I've been able to nail down the time for Tri-x for silver printing; 7.5 min. 2:2:100 @ 68F 200EI. Not sure about the FP4+ though. I've used 9min 2:2:100 @68F 80EI and got some good negs and some under developed ones. The worst were developed this past weekend. These last ones could be the developer has gone off, it's 8 months old now. Mixing some more is on the list for this weekend as well.

Michael
    In fact your time for FP4+ is very close to what I would recommend. I develop this film Pyrocat 2:2:100 at 72º F for about nine minutes, with rotary develoment (in tubes, constant agitation). This should gives a density range with UV processes of around 1.6 to 1.8.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Now I am really trying to get myself to Montana after seeing Sandy's prints. I just need to figure out some logistics...

I am wondering if anyone would share a room with me during the week of the workshop. I need to make this trip as economical as possible, hoping that I can go to Santa Fe as well... Let me know.

Warmly,
    tsuyoshi

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandy,

I just received order o bergger 200 from view camera...I develope in trays, one neg at a time and my developer has been D-76, I also just received pyrocat HD from P-Formulary and will try that one.

For exposure I have only an incident meter....

I have been told to expose the Bergger from 60 to 100-for platinum etc...?

Thanks again
    Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Sandy,

I just received order o bergger 200 from view camera...I develope in trays, one neg at a time and my developer has been D-76, I also just received pyrocat HD from P-Formulary and will try that one.

For exposure I have only an incident meter....

I have been told to expose the Bergger from 60 to 100-for platinum etc...?

Thanks again
    Dave in Vegas
    Dave,

I would rate the BPF 200 film at about EFS 100. If you rate it too low you will get too much density and your printing times will be very long with UV processes, whether carbon or pt./pd.

If you use an incident meter you have three choices.

1. Take the reading in the shadows and double the EFS of the film, i.e. rate it at EFS 200.

2. Take the reading in full light and halve the EFS of the film, i.e. rate it at EFS 50.

3. Take one reading in the shadows and one in full light, average the two, and rate the film at full EFS, which would be EFS 100.

I generally follow #1 since for me the most critical parts of the scene at exposure are shadow density.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who's all going to be there?

I'm signed up. Looking forward to learning from the master

Steve Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin