Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,476   Online: 1091
      
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97

    wetplate collodion workshop experiences?

    I've recently been inspired to explore wetplate collodion and have stumbled upon a workshop listing for Michael Mazzeo. I'm wondering if people would share their experience with his workshop or those run by others such as Scully and Osterman ?

    Anyone else holding or participating in wetplate workshops this coming year?

    I know Jason, Kerik and Calamity Jane are doing wetplate. Anyone else on the forum?

    In addition to Michael Mazzeo, Sally Mann, and Robert Maxwell are there any other non-reenactors who have collodion work online?

    Thanks for any info.

    Joe

  2. #2
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    http://www.cwreenactors.com/collodion/jacoffer/

    http://www.cwreenactors.com/cgi-bin/...00/dcboard.cgi

    The first one is another workshop person. Even though he is a re-enactor photographer, he does other things as well.

    The second is a forum devoted to collodion work.

    I have a whole raft of other websites saved to favorites on another computer that I will augment this with later.
    Non Digital Diva

  3. #3
    Kerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    California
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,465
    Images
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    (snipped)Anyone else holding or participating in wetplate workshops this coming year?
    In addition to Michael Mazzeo, Sally Mann, and Robert Maxwell are there any other non-reenactors who have collodion work online?
    Joe
    I've only heard good things about the Scully/Osterman workshops.

    To the first question:
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=3&tabid=15

    and to the second:
    http://www.collodion.com

    Luther Gerlach also does wonderful collodion work, but doesn't seem to have any images on his website.

    Kerik
    www.kerik.com

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    4

    Wet Plate Collodion Workshops

    Joe,

    I just stumbled across this post and although we have since exchanged emails, I just thought I'd add to the thread. I've been working in collodion for a few years now. I've incorporated the wet-plate process into my Antiquarian Processes class at Parsons School of Design with great success and my students find it more exciting than anything they've done before. I'll be conducting a 5 day workshop at the Peter's Valley Craft Center in New Jersey August 5-9. I'm also scheduling private and group workshops in my New York City studio beginning in May. Some of my recent studio work can be viewed online at PDN's photoserve.

    <http://www.photosource-enhanced.com/bin/Portfolios?launch=pdn-15366>

    Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    I've recently been inspired to explore wetplate collodion and have stumbled upon a workshop listing for Michael Mazzeo. I'm wondering if people would share their experience with his workshop or those run by others such as Scully and Osterman ?

    Anyone else holding or participating in wetplate workshops this coming year?

    I know Jason, Kerik and Calamity Jane are doing wetplate. Anyone else on the forum?

    In addition to Michael Mazzeo, Sally Mann, and Robert Maxwell are there any other non-reenactors who have collodion work online?

    Thanks for any info.

    Joe

  5. #5
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaz
    Joe,

    I just stumbled across this post and although we have since exchanged emails.

    Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
    Hi Michael,

    Yes. I definitely have enrolled in your NJ workshop in August and really am inspired by your work.

    I've also found a few others doing collodion now who have work online. They include Quinn Jacobson (http://www.collodion.com/) as well as Luther Gerlach (http://www.epiphanie.com/) who was in View Camera about a year ago.

    I also recently bought a copy of Robert Maxwell's book and managed to acquire several other collodion references including Scully and Osterman's manual and the Silver Sunbeam. Next paycheck will find me writing for John Coffer's manual.

    I've also started building a portable darkbox as well as a portable darktent, silvering and fixing tanks, and a full-plate camera. I hope to be full-tilt ready for August.

    I've also written to Artcraft regarding purchasing some of the process chemistry (ethyl ether, cadmium bromide, etc.) but haven't heard back from them yet. Know of any other sources for some of the more volatile or toxic chemicals? (I know there is a fifth of Everclear in the cabin I'll be visiting this weekend.)

    Joe

  6. #6
    gandolfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denmark
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    1,798
    Images
    391
    I SO want to learn this technique..

    (I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!)

    but there seem to be no recipies online and living in Denmark isn't good, pgotography wise - trust me..

    I'v admired Tom Baril.
    do you?
    http://www.edelmangallery.com/baril.htm

  7. #7
    smieglitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,863
    Images
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    I SO want to learn this technique..

    (I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!)

    but there seem to be no recipies online and living in Denmark isn't good, pgotography wise - trust me..

    I'v admired Tom Baril.
    do you?
    http://www.edelmangallery.com/baril.htm
    Here's The Silver Sunbeam:

    http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/...nbeam/toc.html

    And Baril's work is kewl.

    Joe

  8. #8
    gandolfi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denmark
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    1,798
    Images
    391

    joe

    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    Here's The Silver Sunbeam:

    http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/...nbeam/toc.html

    And Baril's work is kewl.

    Joe
    wow - that looks heavy...

    I now have to translate the terms "ounces" - "grains" - and Fahrenheit...

    one question: kewl: what is that?

    thanks for the link

  9. #9
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    wow - that looks heavy...

    I now have to translate the terms "ounces" - "grains" - and Fahrenheit...

    one question: kewl: what is that?

    thanks for the link
    new alternative (process) spelling of the word cool. It means good or great or nice. These ASmericans just don't respect us danes. Wait I am an American too, oh well. til lykke med wet plate
    Non Digital Diva



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin