Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,678   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recommend me a workshop in Santa Fe

Well, my summer is pretty much wide open and I figured that I might want to do a workshop in Santa Fe or relatively close (my plan would be to drive from Denver). I obviously want to do an analog workshop, and b&w. So, my question is, does anybody have any particular workshops in Santa Fe that they would recommend? Probably no longer than a week or two and any time from the beginning of June through the beginning of August. And lastly, have I made this decision "too late?" Is it too late for me to still sign up for the good workshops? Thanks everyone!
    -Grant

Shooter
    Large Format
    You may want to check out Alan Ross. He lives in Sante Fe, teaches workshops to the level of the student, and comes with some very nice credentials. www.alanrossphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald is correct, Alan would be a great also check out the Santa Fe workshops at http://www.sfworkshop.com/ though the last couple of catalogues indicate they are moving more to digital or The New Mexico Field School at http://www.photofieldschool.com/home.html
    ..But can not tell you much about them other than one of the instructors is Craig Varjabedian who's work I have seen and is very nice.

Good Luck..
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for those suggestions, I'll have a look at the sites.
    -Grant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There's also Don Kirby: http://donkirbyphotography.com/
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    there is also going it on your own and using the money to explore Northern New Mexico or the entire four corners regoin meeting up with Apuggers who are like minded. For the amount of money a workshop eats up, one can live pretty good on the road exploring some really cool places.
    JMO

What are you looking to learn in a workshop anyway?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The workshops offer scholarships and some assistance.

I'm all for hitting the road and learning from life. Get a good book like Westons Daybooks and live it instead of being cooped up in a class room.

And if you need a night it Santa Fe, I can put you up on my futon.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Depending on your style of photography, I too would say Alan Ross. He is a master printer and a photographer with a very unique vision. He has helped me out quite abit with my photography. Check out his site www.AlanRossPhotography.com

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took Chris Rainier's "Land and the Spirit" in Santa Fe in 1999. Chris Rainier is a very unique and wonderful man. His personality is very engaging and he is an excellent teacher, (he holds no secrets and offers it all). It is not a darkroom workshop, it is a philosophy of photography workshop and a shooting and an exploration and a spiritual journey workshop. But he doesn't hesitate to share his darkroom stuff...I picked his brain endlessly and incessantly. It was a blast! Check out his b & w books....mindblowingly stunningly good!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin