Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

The FREE Mammoth /Owens Valley Workshop in October!

From October 24 to October 28, 2005

The theme of this FREE Workshop is "The Essence of the Scene."
    Learn how to analyze a given scene, know what it is that attracts you to the scene,
    and how to communicate those feelings through effective composition, exposure and subsequent printing.
    Learn about large format camera use, proper tripod usage and how to select a lens for a specific scene.

We start just south of Bridgeport in the gold mining area of Bodie - and around Mono Lake.
    From there we move south to Mammoth Lakes / Bishop.

We end our Free workshop in Lone Pine, photographing around Alabama Hills and Mt. Whitney.

If you are interested in participating please contact me right away. I will most likely be unable to answer email from October 5 until the workshop date.
    Instead I will have at least one other person handle workshop communications during those dates.
    But please sign up as soon as you can.

On this workshop we will try to set a limit of 20 people. Several people have already signed up! So, email me today if you want to participate!

volquartz@volquartz.com

Please mark your email FREE OWENS VALLEY WORKSHOP

Per Volquartz
    http://www.pervolquartz.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I could go. The eastern sierra is my favorite place in the world.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Per,

I wish I could join you, but I will be in New Zealand in October. BTW, I'm still waiting on you to come to Hawaii.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the plan to hit Bodie also? Camping or hotels? What's the weather like that time of year?

If work doesn't schedule me to teach count me in.

Steve Allen
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format

More info...

First two nights at the Virginia Creek Settlement = camping / or small cabins / or large cabins or motel rooms.
    The place has plenty of places to BBQ and a small very nice restaurant.
    It is located two miles north of the road to Bodie.

I have extensive knowledge about Bodie as I have being involved in research / photography there for the past 2 years.
    Most people / photographers who visit Bodie have no clue what the place is all about except that it looks old, and that it was a wild place. That is not even scratching the surface!

1 full day in Bodie for sure - perhaps 2?
    Before going to Bodie I can tell tales never told before about people who lived there, where they came from etc... (if anyone is interested of course...)

On the way to Mammoth we pass Mono Lake. Spectacular is all I can say. From Mono Lake there are choices: hop into Yosemite via the back road to Tuolumnee Meadows, or continue to Mammoth through the June Lake / Silver Lake area.

Mammoth has camping / motels / condos. I go the cheap route = camping. Mammoth does have a number of bears , especially during fall but if everyone keeps food in bear proof lockers we'll be fine. Southward to Bishop / a sidestep to Westgard pass / Bristlecone Pines for those inclined to do so.

Lone Pine is only a couple of miles from Alabama Hilss, which need no introduction.

It will be fun - we always have a great grout of photographers.

Per

Weather in late October can be in the 70's during the day and 30 at night. At higher elevation like 8333 feet at Bodie the weather can change dramatically - even during summer.
    Windbreaker, thin gloves, warm clothing, good shoes / boots are a must. Sun glasses are good too....

Shooter
    Large Format

Group - not grout!

My brain is frying from Pyro ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Boy does this sound great Per. I have these dates protected and fully intend to participate.

Abel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Per, count me and my wife in. She is just getting started in LF (I'm building her (and myself) 8x10 cameras (I presently have a 4x5).

We now trying to figure out whether we bring the RV at 8 mpg (and having it to camp in) or the SUV and camp or motel it. Are the roads conducive to driving a 21' RV?

Steve
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format

SUV or RV???

The roads will be OK unless we have a freak early winter storm.

The RV will be great at night. But the SUV easier to get around in - and you may want to go around to the backside of Mono Lake. NOT RV territory!

Campsites at Virginia Creek Settlement are $15 per night. Very small - bring your own sheets - cabins are $20....We will be having this workshop during off season so Ill try to get group deals when I know roughly how many people plan to participate.

The road to Bodie is 12 miles long if you take the easy route - 9 miles of pavement, 3 miles of dirt (slightly rough). If you go to Bodie from the south through Cottonwood Canyon I suggest using an SUV - 13 miles of dirt, and steeper - although not really that bad. The Cottonwood Canyon Road probably climbs about 2800 feet. The "normal" route from 395 climbs about 2000 feet or so.

The rest of the way along 395 is smooth. In Alabama Hills a SUV makes sense.

Remember we will try to car pool whenever we can...

Per

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, not bringing the RV we can practically pay for the hotels just on the gas savings. Plus the Explorer's a lot more fun to drive.
    - Aristotle

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin