Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,817   Online: 1072

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Your thoughts on Howard Bond workshops?

Has anyone had any experience with Howard Bond workshops in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA? He has two workshops coming up and I wonder what members of the group know of his work and teaching ability?

October 22-23 Refinements in B & W Printing
    October 29-30 Unsharp Masking and Dodging/Burning Masks

See: http://www.apogeephoto.com/howard_bond.html

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Mr. Bond

Howard Bond is one of the premier teachers here in the states. Eloquent and very sincere man. I have learned more about photography from his articles in PhotoTech mag than anywhere else(except here on APUG) Go if you can
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a friend who took a workshop from Howard a couple years ago and praised him considerably. He believes he learned a great deal from Howard and that his subsequent printing improved tremendously. I'd have to agree wih that.

Everything I've ever heard about Howard and his workshops has been very positive.

Plus, if you go you'll get to visit the home town of the Michigan Wolverines.

Seriously, Ann Arbor is a nice town.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I attended a workshop with Howard back in the late 80's. I did learn some things with Howard. I was uncomfortable with his flagrant marketing of his own prints to the workshop participants.

I recognize that like most photographers, Howard has learned some new techniques in the intervening years. His knowledge of unsharp masking developed after my time with him.

I don't know what he charges for his workshops today. At the time that I attended, I considered it a good value.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I, too, took Howard's "B&W printing" workshop several years ago. I also took a workshop with Michael Smith & Paula Chamlee last year. Their's (M&P's) is far better. HB's workshop is not bad and, like Donald said, good value. I don't think I'd spend too much money on traveling and hotels etc for his workshop, though. Its good but not that good kind of workshop IMHO.

I took a workshop with Howard and Dick Dokas at Lake Superior around 1990
    and we subsequently had dinner when he was in Moncton New Brunswick.
    I happen to like Howards photographs and have one of the last copies of his Tetons and Snake River.
    In contrast to some he is an extremely gracious fellow, and frugal.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks all. This has been very helpful.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin