Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,683   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee's, Vision and technques Workshop

I just got back from Michael and Paula's workshop and I have to say that any one that is serious about photography needs to take this workshop. Even if you don't want to do AZO (which will probably change afterwards) the Visions part of the workshop opens your eyes beyond anything you have ever seen. I have Photographed for over 30 years (you can see my work on my website) and when Michael had reviewed my work he felt He could get me to the next level. I didn't real care for his work before I went to the workshop and my friend thought I did better work than Michael. But after the workhshop we realized how good his work real was and left speechless.
    www.michaelandpaula.com

Michael Andersen
    Last edited by michael9793; 10-05-2005 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793
    the Visions part of the workshop opens your eyes beyond anything you have ever seen.
    Amazing, wasn't it? Wait until you've worked that way for about a year. You'll realize that you've taken the 'workshop that keeps on working'.

Make sure you force yourself to use Paula's methods behind the camera whenever you're tempted to slide back into the Ansel Adams 'viewing card' mentality. When printing, always force yourself to outflank the print until you've completely cornered it. I wasted a lot of paper by accepting prints which looked ok but which weren't the best possible prints from my negatives. When I forced myself to keep doing them wrong until I'd boxed in the best possible print, I was able to confidently produced exhibition quality work from just about any negative. This in turn had a profound effect upon my vision. This synergism seems to pervade every aspect of M&P's photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    whenever you're tempted to slide back into the Ansel Adams 'viewing card' mentality. .
    Which means what? I do use a viewing card. I'm not sure that my use is akin to AA's, but it may well be. I'd love to hear what the alternatives are. I've heard only good things about Paula's coaching under the darkcloth, but never any explanation of what she offers. If you can discuss it a bit, I'd like to get a sense of what this approach entails.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    If you can discuss it a bit, I'd like to get a sense of what this approach entails.
    As would I. I've heard nothing but good things about this part of their workshop. Someday I hope to experience it first hand.

Shooter
    Medium Format

M&P workshop

I spent a very enjoyable two and a half days at M&P's workshop, and I would divide the program into four:
    developing negatives, printing , seeing, and critique.

Of these, my favorites were seeing and critique. One can do alot of reading and get a fair grip on the other two, however their methods are quite simple, and I plan to adopt most of them. I did a bit of developing by inspection this weekend and found it difficult to see WTH was going on, but everything else I took away is dead on.

VERY worthwhile workshop. Paula's seeing teaching is a real plus.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    As would I. I've heard nothing but good things about this part of their workshop. Someday I hope to experience it first hand.

The vision part of the workshop is something different than anything that I've ever learned in any class. The short explanation that fails to do it justice is that one explores a scene with the ground glass. For me, coming from a film and video background, Paula likened it to using the camera on the tripod like a video camera. Under the darkcloth you "see" what is there. It was remarkable.

This part of the workshop is individual time. I came out from under the darkcloth "lost." By that I mean that I lost track of time and space as we moved the camera and changed the scene. I had to figure out where I was afterward. I had always thought of photography as "capturing an image." What I learned in the workshop was to explore the image regardless of whether you decide to capture it.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    Someday I hope to experience it first hand.
    Apug conference, 'nuff said. I'm guessing cheapest you will EVER see the M&P workshops--many of course find them to be worth much more than they paid when taking it in Bucks County, but for those of us on a budget....
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Apug conference, 'nuff said. I'm guessing cheapest you will EVER see the M&P workshops--many of course find them to be worth much more than they paid when taking it in Bucks County, but for those of us on a budget....
    This is a fact. M & P have gone the extra mile with their WSs
    and commitment to the APUG and the conference.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just getting under the darkcloth with Paula and having her show you the magic is just part of it. you have to learn what to see. I used the Zone VI viewer for ever, but there isn't anything wrong with it it just doesn't give you what is really in the picture, Just the basic form. using the ground glass properly and seeing what M&P see is the whole thing. Technique in the darkroon and developing is a whole different thing you have to do.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis
    The vision part of the workshop is something different than anything that I've ever learned in any class. The short explanation that fails to do it justice is that one explores a scene with the ground glass. For me, coming from a film and video background, Paula likened it to using the camera on the tripod like a video camera. Under the darkcloth you "see" what is there. It was remarkable.

This part of the workshop is individual time. I came out from under the darkcloth "lost." By that I mean that I lost track of time and space as we moved the camera and changed the scene. I had to figure out where I was afterward. I had always thought of photography as "capturing an image." What I learned in the workshop was to explore the image regardless of whether you decide to capture it.

Mike
    I could not have said it any better jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin