Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,151   Online: 977

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought this was a great idea as well since i live 1/2 hour away. Then i saw the price on Calumet's email to me. Has anyone been in the LA Calumet store lately? They have put their limited supply of b+w materials in a tiny room apart from everything else in the store. The shelves were b+w supplies were are now filled with inkjet papers. Good luck getting any of the papers listed on their website from a local store. Calumet's in this thing for the money.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's hardly surprising given the low volume of traditional B&W stock. As a retailer myself, I wouldn't waste wall space on stock that caters for a niche market - I'd put it in a cupboard and advertise availability.

The days of wandering in and playing touchie feelie are coming to a close.

Shooter
    Large Format

The conference should be FREE!!!

Ilford is a commercial enterprise, so is Calumet, and so is Art Center.
    A token fee of $50 would be appropriate.

I live 15 minutes away and will not attend.

Although all my work is 100% black and white, traditional silver based photography I find this kind of "Symposium" nothing more than advertising disguised as "editorial" content.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by per volquartz
    Ilford is a commercial enterprise, so is Calumet, and so is Art Center.
    A token fee of $50 would be appropriate.

I live 15 minutes away and will not attend.

Although all my work is 100% black and white, traditional silver based photography I find this kind of "Symposium" nothing more than advertising disguised as "editorial" content.
    Be that what it may, I expect some good information from the sessions. I’ll be there, and am looking forward to it.

May even enter some prints in the contest.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While each potential attendee must make their individual decision about the cost:benefit ratio for them, there are real expenses involved in staging a conference of this nature. Thus, as I suspect the sponsors have a desire to continue to be commercial enterprises, a fee that covers most of those expenses is probably necessary.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    While each potential attendee must make their individual decision about the cost:benefit ratio for them, there are real expenses involved in staging a conference of this nature. Thus, as I suspect the sponsors have a desire to continue to be commercial enterprises, a fee that covers most of those expenses is probably necessary.
    True, but $300 is ridiculous. $50 would more accurately represent the true cost of holding the meeting and also enable more to attend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been there.
    I when to ACCD in the early '80's.
    I would go to the event but I still don't have the Lambo yet.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    as I stated in the Simmons thread, I have no intentions on going as the $300 is just the tip of the iceberg for me. Gas if I drive over 3000 miles or the cost of the airlines ticket will double or triple the cost of the meeting. So, they can put me down as a no show. I would love to attend but not at pawn broker prices.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 10-14-2005 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would love to go and ask the why the heck they dont have anything going in Mexico. But like Lee said, $300 is the least of the problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Sponsors typically pay a fee to BE a sponsor, host a booth per se, to promote their business, with hopes of expanding sales or generating new sales.
    350 attendees (providing they fill the bill) at $300 ea. is $105,000.

Seems they want to promote themselves at our cost...and make a profit perhaps. I can't see how this "conference" could possibly cost this much. Cost of facilities rental and guest speakers could be covered by a lesser fee.
    Other expenses are their responsibility under typical marketing/advertising expenditures.

For that amount I expect to see Ansel, Edward, et al reincarnate...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin