Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,366   Online: 1215

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The only big L.A. store that is truly committed to B/W photography seems to be Freestyle Photo. They have a good mail order department and deserve our support!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As it is we have to go through third parties and either wait a couple of weeks while they source the order or trawl the high street hoping to find what we are looking for. Even Jessops only keeps two small shelves of chemicals and paper and one small display unit of film in store these days. Is it any wonder (uninformed) people think film is dead?

Things would be a lot simpler if it was possible to order direct from Ilford.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    *wakes up, looks around* Huh? What? Did someone say Film Ain't Dead?
    You can't seriously knock businesses for doing business can you? If you could direct-order from Ilford there would be a tremendous backlash from retailers... how many dealers switched to PanaVue b/c you can buy PrintFile for below-list direct (whole 'nother discussion about "list" prices then)?
    In an age when margins on all things photographic are increasingly slim it seems it shouldn't be such a horror that Ilford/Calumet stand to potentially earn a reasonable return here. Suppose for a moment that the 100K tossed above is accurate; do they deserve that profit any less than a realtor selling a relatively simple 4 million dollar shore home, an investor choosing when to sell a stock or a state selling an hours' worth of lottery tickets? It may be a hobby for many, but for the rest it is how food is put on the table for the owners, their employees and their families.
    My 2-cents.

-Brad
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I wonder how wise is it to do it this way? $300 is a bit high for a conference, if people dont show up will they conclude there is no support? If they had opened their contest to anybody, not just those attending and limit it to only film exposures they might have been able to better judge the support even if they charged a fee for sending prints.
    As far as I know they have opened the competition up to anyone who prints silver photographs. There is a fee[$35.00] to send up to 3 prints and then $15.00 each additional print. I understood that you didn't have to attend the conference to enter the competition.

I'm probably replying to an older thread, right?

Kate

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin