Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,411   Online: 761

Shooter
    Large Format

Daguerreotype Workshop: July 14-17th, Peters Valley, NJ

I will be teaching a daguerreotype workshop this summer at Peters Valley Craft Center. This is a unique opportunity to learn a forgotten craft.

Here is the blurb:

The daguerreotype is an image unlike any other, each is unique and elusory. It was the first and arguably the most beautiful form of photography, and yet its importance and technologies are largely forgotten. In this workshop we will learn, practice, and discuss different methods of daguerreotypy with the goal that every participant be able to produce several images, and quickly be on their way to making daguerreotypes on their own with the skills and knowledge learned in this workshop.

This workshop will use the less-toxic and ecologically-friendly Becquerel development, although we will discuss the basics of mercury development. We will concentrate on the most important and difficult skills; polishing, sensitizing, gilding, and problem solving. In addition, we will manufacture our own daguerreotype plates and learn to build fuming boxes. The course will also include a brief introduction to 19th century photographic technology. Participants will be asked to read one or two "classic" manuals (available on-line) before the workshop, and encouraged to bring their own 4x5 or 5x7 camera.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. I would love to fill this workshop up with APUG folk, I know two members are planning upon participating.

jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

workshop

Jason-I did the Platinum workshop last summer with Tillman Crane and it was great. Peters Valley is a very good place to learn and would highly reccommend it. Sounds like a cool workshop!!
    Best, Peter

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason, I would love to attend! Don't have either a 5x7 or 4x5 so I'll have to buy one, right? Please keep us posted on how to sign up.
    -Thanks
    Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager
    Jason-I did the Platinum workshop last summer with Tillman Crane and it was great. Peters Valley is a very good place to learn and would highly reccommend it. Sounds like a cool workshop!!
    Best, Peter
    I learned wetplate collodion from Michael Mazzeo last summer at Peter's Valley and had a great time. (This learning experience was also facilitated by previous and subsequent discussions with Jason BTW.)

The Peter's Valley Craft Center setting in the Delaware Gap region is very picturesque and the food was outstanding. Its relatively inexpensive compared to other big workshop locations and it also provides an opportunity to mingle with other interesting artists in different media than photography.

I'm very much looking forward to taking this workshop and returning to Peter's Valley. See you in July.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the comments! I am really looking forward to this. If it goes well, they want me to teach a "traditional" (read: hot mercury fumes) daguerreotype class next year.

Quote Originally Posted by laz
    ...Don't have either a 5x7 or 4x5 so I'll have to buy one, right...
    Well, you should have one, so better go out right now. No actually it won't be necessary for all participants to have their own camera, as I will provide two and I think Peters Valley has a few.

I will post more information as I get it. Right now nothing is posted on their web-site (http://www.petersvalley.org/), but it should be up in a few weeks. You can always call them for more information: 973 948 5200.

Dag on!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can add me to the "# interested" statistic.
    Nate Davis

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi

Well, you should have one, so better go out right now. Dag on!
    There ya go, I told the wife that! (she said to cut my 8x10 in half)
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for all the interest! Peter's Valley has posted a description and fees on their website: http://petersvalley.org/2006%20Works...kshop_sche.htm

It appears that Daguerreotypy is hot, and I will be teaching another workshop this summer (June 23-25) in NYC at the Center for Alternative and Historic Processes (http://www.cfaahp.org/).

Depending upon how these workshops go (attendance, interest, et cetera) I may lead a "traditional" (read; hot mercury) workshop next summer (June or July of 2007)

Thanks again,

jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    A quick bump!

The CFHAAP workshop is full, however there are still a few places left for the Peter's Valley workshop. Please sign up or contact me if you are interested.

Thanks, jason

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin