Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,390   Online: 1150

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Looking For Feedback On George Tice Workshops

I would like to hear reviews of classes and/or workshops given by George Tice.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a young friend from Maine that was a student of his and thought he was fantastic as a teacher/mentor.

If you're interested I could get a hold of her and get more info.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Does anyone know if George does his own workshops, i.e., not connected with Maine Photographic Workshops?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ceratto
    I would like to hear reviews of classes and/or workshops given by George Tice.
    I took one of his earliest workshops at MPW in 1981. At the time I had been doing darkroom work over 30 years, and while I could be considered a Master color printer, my B&W was barely beyond beginner level. He didn't teach me how to print, but he did teach me how to quickly teach myself to become a really excellent B&W printer. The workshop was very good then -- I can't imagine how superb it must be by now. Definitely 4+.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ceratto; I took his printing course two summers ago in Maine.What Bill said about learning how to teach yourself how to be a really excellent printer was and still is the secret to his course. You see a lot of his work and why it works, or not, and how and why to push a bit further. You will use a lot of paper for just one print. You might work on that same print for three days.

Mr. Tice is one of the few "Master" printers alive today.Look at the old Life library of photography series and George is all over it with both prints and demo's of how to print. His talent is that he is so good at all forms of printing, not just one method. Some photographers today hype that they are "Masters" at say, ULF Azo contact printing. Other's are known for being Pt/Pd experts. Still others with enlarging and enlarging tricks like unsharp masking. George Tice does it all with simple tools. No developers mixed by the elves of the Black Forest or other such esoteric bullshit. Are you sworn to pyro being the greatest thing since sliced bread? Then go elsewhere. Simple and basic is the way he works.

But, is his style for you? I think there is a West coast school and a East coast school, still today. George prints softer than say John Sexton. A Tice print has an amazing range of gray mid-tones not seen from "western" printers. A lot of this may be from the range of light the East coast lives with. More diffused light, tighter spaces, detailed scenes vs. grand vista.

To Tom. Kind of annoying, he lives in Atlantic Highlands but you have to go to Maine. I believe he taught at Peter's Valley a long time ago.

Please feel free to PM me for other aspects.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Mr. Tice is one of the few "Master" printers alive today.
    Thanks. I had no idea who Mr. Tice was, I had to do a google lookup. His images were instantly recognizable to me, but I never had a name to put with them.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images

Mr. Tice is one of the few "Master" printers alive today.Simple and basic is the way he works.

Photobum, 30 years ago his materials were: Dektol, Selectol-Soft, and Kodak Medalist paper. Couldn't get much simpler than that. What is he using these days, with Medalist long gone?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bill; Tri-X and D-76. For paper Ektaflo type II (E-Z to mix) and or Selectol-soft for 3 min. He splits grade steps with the two developers but no matter what three min. For paper he's screwed just like all of us. Azo #2 for proofing. A lot of Oriental/Seagul. I saw so many kinds of paper I think as long as it's FB graded he's happy. Everyone was working with Ilford MGFB. No big deal.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin