Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,579   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Semi-Stand Workshop with Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman will conduct a hands-on workshop demonstrating his use of minimal agitation techniques on January 21, 2006 at the Metropolitan Center for the Visual Arts in Gaithersburg, MD.

I had never seen Steve's prints in the flesh until last week. I'd read his View Camera magazine articles, of course, but I had no idea of the power of this technique when properly applied. As soon as Joe Freeman and I saw Steve's prints on New Year's day, we vowed that we would not rest until we had convinced Steve to show us how to do this.

Some of Steve's prints are currently on display at the Center until Feb. 4. The address is 9300 Gaither Rd., Gaithersburg, MD. Any large format practitioners in the Mid Atlantic area are invited to come on by and look at them. I can almost promise you that if you've never seen Steve's work before you'll want to attend the workshop. No reproduction comes even close to doing them justice.

Official announcement attached below.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Have you tried semi-stand development with 777?
    No. I would think that 777, since it contains glycin (or so I believe) would be an excellent stand or semi-stand developer. I haven't tried it mostly because it's not a one shot developer, and I'm worried about trying to pour it back into the jug in the dark.

I did try it with Pyrocat and Sandy King's recommended times and dilutions for TMY. The highlights were blown and there was nowhere near the local contrast Steve gets.

Steve and I are planning on going out to shoot on the day before the workshop. I'll make some TMY negatives (and some PL100s too) and experiment during the workshop with the master present. I'll let you know what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Hi Jim.

looks like fun, I wish I could be there. Have you tried semi-stand development with 777?
    Jay
    Since the SOP with 777 is almost continuous agitation (in reality 50% duty cycle), I would suspect that it burns out quickly and needs replentishment in the development cycle. Stand or semi-stand might not work as it might burn out too quick and leave highlights way to underdone. I have thought of using 777 in my rotational tank on 5x7 but haven't had the time to do the investigative work necessary to pull that combo off. So far I have used 777 in large 'small' tanks utilizing twice the volume required for any one roll or set of sheets of film. I have a medium sized Patterson that I have done 3x4 and 4x5 sheets in in small tubes placed in the tank. I tried Efke 100 and it worked great at E.I.80.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Glycin is supposed to be good for stand development, but my own experiments with it have not shown it to provide any advantage over straight Pyrocat-HD. In fact, for a non-staining developer I have gotten much better results with Rodinal.

BTW, what times did you use for TMY? And what process are you printing with? I just developed some sixty sheets of TMY 5X7 using extreme minimal agitation with the 1:1:150 dilution of Pyrocat-HD and the contrast of most of the negatives is perfect for my printing with long exposure scale processes.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    No. I would think that 777, since it contains glycin (or so I believe) would be an excellent stand or semi-stand developer. I haven't tried it mostly because it's not a one shot developer, and I'm worried about trying to pour it back into the jug in the dark.

I did try it with Pyrocat and Sandy King's recommended times and dilutions for TMY. The highlights were blown and there was nowhere near the local contrast Steve gets.

Steve and I are planning on going out to shoot on the day before the workshop. I'll make some TMY negatives (and some PL100s too) and experiment during the workshop with the master present. I'll let you know what happens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Glycin is supposed to be good for stand development, but my own experiments with it have not shown it to provide any advantage over straight Pyrocat-HD. In fact, for a non-staining developer I have gotten much better results with Rodinal.

BTW, what times did you use for TMY? And what process are you printing with? I just developed some sixty sheets of TMY 5X7 using extreme minimal agitation with the 1:1:150 dilution of Pyrocat-HD and the contrast of most of the negatives is perfect for my printing with long exposure scale processes.

Sandy
    For a negative calling for +2 development, I gave it 5 stand cycles of 11 minutes each. I would've done it in 4 cycles but I decided to give it a little more time after 3 cycles. The dilution was 10:6:1200, at Steve's suggestion. The negative looks incredibly sharp, but seems to have a lot of general stain. (because of the accelerator having been scaled back?) I'll be printing it on (very probably grade 3) Azo.

I haven't printed it yet, but I made a second TMY negative of this image which I developed in 777. It's perfect, so the comparison should be interesting. Stay tuned.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That sounds much more like the time recommendation I would give for printing on AZO #2, which has an ES of about 1.65. For AZO 3 about 40 minutes should have been plenty of time. The dilution sound about right.

Also, what do you mean by "stand cycles"? Is this the number of times you are agitating? If so, you might want to cut that back down to three or four. Every agitation cycle will boost the contrast.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    For a negative calling for +2 development, I gave it 5 stand cycles of 11 minutes each. I would've done it in 4 cycles but I decided to give it a little more time after 3 cycles. The dilution was 10:6:1200, at Steve's suggestion. The negative looks incredibly sharp, but seems to have a lot of general stain. (because of the accelerator having been scaled back?) I'll be printing it on (very probably grade 3) Azo.

I haven't printed it yet, but I made a second TMY negative of this image which I developed in 777. It's perfect, so the comparison should be interesting. Stay tuned.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I seem to remember Sandy telling me that a little Ascorbic acid will have a reducing effect on base fog. Should also cut down overall length of development time, you might need to slightly reduce the dilution however not more that 200 to 1 of solution A.

Having seen the negatives in question this past weekend I would say there is even more adjancecy effects possible with reduced agitation periods.

Keep us posted.

Steve
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Also, what do you mean by "stand cycles"?
    That's the number of times I let the tube sit there for 11 minutes. I therefore agitated 4 times between these for ten seconds and for one minute at the beginning.

Steve, refresh my memory....why do you back off on the carbonate in relation to the A solution?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,

Pot Carbonate is an accelerator and increases the energy of the developer. When mixed 1 to 1 with solution A and during extended periods of time in developer can increase film base fog. I have reduced Pot Carbonate up to 40 % of A with good results.

When designing negatives for projection I would also try a small amount of Ascorbic Acid in conjunction with reduced Pot Carbonate. Try 3:2:200 with 1 part of Ascorbic Acid for contact prints and evaluate.

I got Ascorbic Acid from a local health food store. The brand name NOW is said to be the most pure and comes in easy to dissolve powder form.

Keep us posted. Steve
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don't add too much ascorbic acid, however, as you will kill the stain.

What I would recommend is that you mix up a 1% solution of ascorbic acid and add about 10 mls of this solution per liter of working solution of Pyrocat-HD. This will increase the energy of the developer slighly as it reduces B+F by slowing down oxidation.

For my minimal agitation work I use a dilution of 1.5:1:150, which is not all that different from what Steve is using.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman
    Jim,

Pot Carbonate is an accelerator and increases the energy of the developer. When mixed 1 to 1 with solution A and during extended periods of time in developer can increase film base fog. I have reduced Pot Carbonate up to 40 % of A with good results.

When designing negatives for projection I would also try a small amount of Ascorbic Acid in conjunction with reduced Pot Carbonate. Try 3:2:200 with 1 part of Ascorbic Acid for contact prints and evaluate.

I got Ascorbic Acid from a local health food store. The brand name NOW is said to be the most pure and comes in easy to dissolve powder form.

Keep us posted. Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin