Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,532   Posts: 1,572,634   Online: 945

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm definitely up for this. Nothing like a road trip, combined with a photo workshop!

Just a couple of questions:
    1) The most direct route from Boise, Idaho is 84 to 51/225 South, then I80 West at Elko over to 305 South at Battle Mtn, a jog over on 50 at Austin, pick up 376 South to 6 into Tonopah... What is 376 like that time of year? I love the idea of seeing the the Toiyabe (at least from the road... can't stop too long, gotta get to Tonopah!)

2) What accomodations are available in Tonopah... Camping, motels, squatting in abandoned mines?
    John (Alpha Flying Monkey) Moore
    http://www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Shooter
    Large Format

Jim is working on Accommodations!

Hey, with Jim's reputation in Tonopah we should all receive breakfast in bed (or on location), free processing, limo pick up, transfer, and transportation from location to location...

Am I right?

One thing to watch out for: Jim is bound to have a ton of irresistable lenses, so guard your checkbook at all times while there!

Email me if you dare to come to Tonoapah in March!

volquartz@volquartz.com

(Please write - with caps - I DARE - in email heading!!!)

Shooter
    Large Format

Tonopah!!! Not Tonoapah...

- I must be thinking about that 240mm Heliar...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by per volquartz
    - I must be thinking about that 240mm Heliar...
    Bring cash. Alas, I've not used it since I got it back. The poor man's PS945.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMoore3
    The most direct route from Boise, Idaho is 84 to 51/225 South, then I80 West at Elko over to 305 South at Battle Mtn, a jog over on 50 at Austin, pick up 376 South to 6 into Tonopah... What is 376 like that time of year?
    376 is fine 99% of the time. There are 2 8,000 foot passes right after Austin that occasionally get messy with a fresh storm or 2 but it's clear sailing afer that. I'm getting a price from locals who own the Best Western for a block or rooms.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I'm real close to 95, is taking 95 So. to Tonopah an indirect route?

Jay
    I'd go Jordan Valley to Winnemucca then Battle mountain S. to Tonopah via Austin.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, I got the road atlas out this morning and also hit up www.freetrip.com to see what it would take, so you never know...

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format

Thoughts from Jim Galli...

I received this from Jim:

"I think the main thing will be a historic mining theme. We have the Tonopah Historic Mining Park where we can photograph all of the historic structures, both inside and out. Then there is just the general old buildings and shacks about town. Then we also might enjoy trekking to Goldfield one day. There's a pristine desert scenic area about 35 miles W of town that no one knows about, and finally, it might be fun to have some evening sessions in my upstairs studio using the giant studio 9a camera and some of the soft focus lenses. This would only work for a smaller group but those with an interest in soft focus lenses would really get excited about the possibilities.

One other possibility for a smaller group would be a local machine shop and foundry that has been in biz here same family since 1903. The machine shop is vintage 1910 or so with original jack shaft / belt system in use. I don't want to overwhelm that guy though."

In addition to Jim's ideas we will plan informal discussions about technique and look at prints. Also as many of you know Jim has a unique affection for old optics - some of which may be for sale? (Keep cash and checkbook under lock in order to avoid serious temptation!!!)

Finally - if anyone is interested - I am planning to make a short presentation about what I consider absolute paramount in creative photography: "Understanding and capturing the essence of an image".

Jim is trying to get group rates at a motel in town, and there should be opportunity for camping as well!

Email me at

volquartz@volquartz.com to sign up.

Please write (with capital letters) in email heading: I DARE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sharon & I would love to attend. Not sure if we will be able to yet. It depends on work and if we are moving to Boise about that time (I have a tentive job offer there, its a matter of when they want me there.)

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will do our best to go. The shoot out in Winnemucca is a week or two before the Tonopah Trip! Cool! Jay, we can detour through Reno or go the other way. I believe we can get at least 2 of us from Boise to head south, maybe more. It will be really great!

Shooter
    Large Format

A bit of info about Tonopah...

The boomtown of Tonopah was born in 1900,
    when Jim Butler accidentally discovered rich
    silver ore while chasing a wayward burro.
    Butler's discovery eventually produced more
    than $150 million in ore and spawned Nevada's
    last great mining rush.

Today, Tonopah and adjacent parts of central Nevada represent the
    final chapter in the settlement of the American
    west. Located at an elevation of 6020 feet amidst
    the hilly terrain of the San Antonio mountains,
    Tonopah straddles modern US Hwy 95, and
    serves as a pleasant stopover for travelers
    halfway between Las Vegas and Reno.

Tonopah is blessed with near ideal air quality
    characterized by clear skies and gentle winds.
    The past and present exist side by side in this
    turn-of-the-century Nevada mining town, and
    Tonopah is one of the best places in the state
    for you to get a feel for Nevada's colorful history.

Want to participate?

Email me at:

volquartz@volquartz.com

In email heading please write: I DARE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin