Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,360   Online: 800

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

True about developing a teaching program ...

...and actually teaching in accredited institutions.

I have taught both at city college level and at college level (Art Center College of Design.) Also, I am listed at the Maine Photo Workshops as an instructor (although I have not taught any classes there yet.)

And it is true that you have to be paid for your efforts.

However, this does not always have to be in hard currency.

I do owe a lot and have found free Workshops a way to pay back in some small way what I received: About 12 years ago I received a kidney transplant from an unkown donor, a young man or woman, who died so I could live. Since that day I have tried to learn as much as possible about visual communication - and share freely what I know and understand. My total career in the visual arts and photography spans 42 years, incl. my apprenticeship and college education. My images have been published in most magazines and newspapers in the United States as well as in several European photo publications. In addition I have worked professionally with most camera types available (NOT incl. digital cameras - can't figure out how to get a useful image with these tools.) My "dayrate" while working commercially was not in the hundreds but in the thousands - and I was busy! - specializing in high end large format photography - primarily black and white.

By sharing this knowledge openly with those who ask gives me great satisfaction = one of the reasons I spend so much money and time doing these free workshops. I am not "learning as I go" = am way too old for that.

Shooter
    Large Format

Childish Games??? - Snide remarks???

Agnes came to my free workshops. She asked questions. I answered them. And showed her a few technical details. She also came to a one day fee based darkroom workshop that one of my former participants had arranded for me in San Franciso. For that she paid $100. It was not a free workshop.
    Agnes is interested in photography - no doubt about that. Time will tell if she puts enough time and effort into the medium and develops the sensitivity and the eye to actually produce worthwhile images.

I am interested in all constructive viewpoints, good and bad when it comes to bettering myself and my workshops. For some reasons - and I don't know why - it appears that Aggie is now talking to me or about me in the same fashion she spoke of Steve Anchell and others, who decided not to participate in producing Emulsion magazine. Is there a common thread here? (Not intended as a snide remark or childish game.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well I think you answered your own question. And yes it is a great thing you are doing. With that kind of motivation I'd might do the same thing. Congratulations on your successful transplant, the person though, you recieved it from could have been named Aggie.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Me, I only really learn one way. That's to put a dumpster outside the darkroom door and fill it up. Those who know me know I'm a wee bit hard headed. Thick, OK, fair enough. That said, the workshops (or gatherings whatever pleases you) I've gone to have been about lasting friendships that are more valuable to me than any $$ spent. I have met the most enjoyable and positive people of my life in this hobby. Per and Aggie included!

Tonopah will be a blast. One problem I foresee is....well the studio is up a flight of narrow wooden stairs........and there's no handrail.......and if the wine flows while we're doing some evening portrait sessions.....maybe I'd better put some old tires down there to break the fall. See you there!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has become way off track from the well intended initial post.
    Please air your differences privately.

There is obviously many who have attended Per's Workshops and thoroughly enjoy them. Many attend again and again, as I will. To me they are "priceless".

I learn something each time and I work at achieving my goals while attending and I also usually shop locally For me - it's a workshop.

There are not too many credentialed photographers out there willing to share their knowledge and experience for free. I have called Per numerous occassions to ask advice and questions and never have I been disappointed.

Shooting is always learning, and learning isn't always shooting.

Petzval Tee Shirt..hmmm, nice idea Dave!
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on

Petzval Tee Shirt..hmmm, nice idea Dave!
    Just finished a big round of Memphis barbeque.....I take an XXL !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Just finished a big round of Memphis barbeque.....I take an XXL !
    Yes, and I'll run a 3xl in case you have leftovers...sounds like you're working on the "soft effect" already Dave...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Images
    I think it is clear that there are issues here that go beyond this thread. I think it is also clear that others voiced the same opinion Aggie did, but their responses were not treated in nearly the same manner.

Per,
    If you truely want to reach a bigger audience participate in forums. It is because of this forum and one other that my enthusiasm keeps increasing. Your 114 posts have been about your workshops. All right you had one about Dave Wooten but that was the only thread begun or participated in about something besides your free workshops. Like I said it might be the mood I am in this evening but I honestly find your post a bit self serving, and your treatment of a regular forum member to be rude.

As to your question you bet there should be more free workshops. Corporate sponsorship might be the way to go. Then I might be able to afford the attendance fee.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format

Mark, the best way for me to interact is in free workshops...

or Gettogethers - whatever people wish to call them.

It is true that I never post in other forums - I do read and search for information however. And I enjoy looking at the work of others.

I am a member of APUG as well as a sponsor.

If my comments were rude I apologize. I carry no grudge and have for several months sent email to Aggie trying to find out what she was upset about. No answers. The last emails were sent today and copied to another forum member to make sure I had the correct address. Still no answer.

It would serve all of us better for Aggie and I to solve our differences outside this forum I agree.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    per... its a great thing the free workshops/gettogethers/unofficial-financially-unobligated-events you put together.

in regards to the bickering... I feel sorry for those involved. the bickering and such seems unneeded. better expressed in a phonecall or the like.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin