Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,640   Online: 950

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

There's something for everybody!

To give readers an of idea of how the connection between FREE and fee-based workshops can play out, I'm forwarding a message from Tony Mournian, Editor of Photographers' Formulary newsletter. This is a 5:30 movie of Jan Pietrzak discussing Platinum Printing.

Jan gives workshops fee-based workshops himself and is also on the advisory staff at Freestyle (APUG site sponsors). At Per's recent Joshua Tree workshop, Jan offered a taste of this alternative process to attendees. So, in addition to promoting "alternative" processes in general, those who wanted to go deeper could now connect with Jan for additional training. The bottom line: sharing his knowledge at a FREE workshop, and in affect sowing the seeds of interest in Platinum Printing, can ultimately lead to workshop attendees for Jan.

THANKS, TONY! THANKS, DAVE WOOTEN, TOO!

Without further ado, here's Tony's movie intro...

It's not a full length feature, but gives a good summary of what is involved in making a platinum print, as well as a precis of the history of platinum printing.

Jan gave his talk at Joshua Tree National Park during the "free workshop" coordinated by Per Volquartz. Because photography is as much learned by watching and by doing as it is by lecture and book learnin', and because the uniquely valuable experience of working alongside highly experienced, well trained people can be a gratifying personal experience, workshops like the Joshua Tree weekend are as highly prized as the most expensive commercial ventures.

There are two versions of the movie. They differ only in the size of the images.

The first version is 120x90 pixels. This means it is about the size of a postage stamp. If you have a dialup connection or a slow computer, this is the one for you. The movie will open with RealPlayer or with QuickTime. Click here for the small version.

The second version is 240x180 pixels and also will play using RealPlayer or QuickTime. It will play easily on a highspeed connection and/or a faster computer. Click here for the larger version.

If you need Quicktime 7 for the PC, get it here. . . It is free.

If you have a Mac, or if you need Quicktime 7 for the Mac Get it here. . . It is free.

If you need RealPlayer, click here.

All downloads are free.

Tony
    mournian@sandiego.edu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I, for one, am grateful of what Per is doing and I hope he will continue. Call them what you will. I have learned much and look forward to attending many more.

Abel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Face to Face Community

I have been to a number of workshops both fee based as well as Per Volquartz's sponsored "free" workshops. I do not understand why there are those who would denigrate the free workshop concept nor attack anyone who offers these. I particularly appreciate the comments of Mark, who said "I've come to realize that what I get out of each of them is directly proportional to what I put into them" I feel that this is true not only of this specific topic but also to any other endeavor or life experience.

I have been a photographer for nearly 50 years, and I continue to develop and mature in my vision, and personal satisfaction with this art and craft. I will readily agree with any posters who will say that the stated objectives of a given (Per) "workshop" may not be fully addressed at a specific time. But that will be readily true of many life learning experiences. What do we expect from any learning experience? In school we may attend a lecture given to 180 or more students with little feed back. A lab situation with a junior associate? Much real learning and development occurs with personal practice of one's field along with a personal commitment to further themselves. I for one do not expect to be handed a golden diploma that says "I am a visionary photographer because I attended and graduated from such specific curriculum."

For me, my art has "improved" greatly in the past few years, these few years are a small percentage of my practicing photographic life. I attribute a large portion of this development to continued contact with Per Volquartz AND to the community which his free WORKSHOPS have engendered, to which I owe a tremendous debt.

As a practitioner of limited financial means, I am not in a position to either/and/or both, take multiple fee based workshops with photographers who I greatly admire, nor do I expect at my point in life, to "apprenticeship" to such a photographer who in time could be considered a mentor to my personal work and development. Per's workshops have afforded to me a development and experience otherwise not available to me. In addition, it has further enabled me to meet many other photographers with whom I have developed personal and shooting relationships which have also been developmental in my craft and art.

These free events are indeed "workshops", perhaps I should capitalize that term. I would quote the following:

workshop - action learning: "involves a group of people coming together regularly to help each other learn from their experiences. The group works together on problems in their community, workplace or project, in order to improve the problem. The people involved increase their skills and knowledge by learning with and from each other, working on real issues or problems, reflecting on their experiences, and taking action based on group decisions. Values associated with action learning include respect for others, honesty and integrity, collaboration, and developing trusting relationships with others"

source is http://www.evaluateit.org/glossary/

If I had unlimited funds and unlimited time to devote to my personal development as a photographer, would I be better off to go elsewhere than Per Volquartz's free workshops? Perhaps yes, and perhaps no. Neither I nor anyone who reads my post could possibly predict whether I could become an Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange, Weston or Brassai because of a success or failure from any specific workshop. For me and many others who have attended Per's workshops, it works for us.

Respectfully, Wilbur Wong

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've only been to one of Per's worshops, and I wish I could attend many more. When I first went, I thought I was the odd-man out; a color landscape photographer working around a bunch of B&W photographers. But, I only had to put up with one comment about "colorful calendar art", which someone made, not realizing I was a color photographer. However as the workshop continued, I found that Wilbur Wong and I had color photography in common; there were a couple of days where Wilbur and I were the only ones up before the sun, shooting. Also, coming from Hawaii, I didn't have any camping gear, so Matt (blaze-on) was kind enough to allow me to share his campsite, so I wouldn't have to drive into town and back everyday, and I got to sit around the campfire and enjoy the fellowship of my fellow photographers. One thing I always appreciated, was Per's willingness to to discuss any photographic topic we wanted to talk about. I consider Per a friend and a gentleman. I'm just saddened that because of distance, I can't attend more of these - I had just gotten laid off from my job before the one I attended, so had plenty of time on my hands.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format

NEW movie links - FTP server change

Update from Tony...

I had to change the links to Jan's movies because of problems with my ftp server. So the current links don't work.

Here are the current and correct links:

http://home.sandiego.edu/~mournian/qtmovies/120x90_h263_jan_pietrzak.mov

http://home.sandiego.edu/~mournian/qtmovies/240x180_h263_jan_pietrzak.mov

The only things changed are the capital letters are now lower case.

If you can change this on APUG, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tony
    mournian@sandiego.edu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    my 2 cents 11
    I am glad and welcomed the opportunity to participate on the workshops Per has put together !!!
    they are fun you do get to learn about ones work and photography in general .
    yes they may not be technical type workshop in the tradition of how to seminars but that is what is so great about it !!!!
    In this day and age where people are so concerned with money is a pleasant surprise to find a great artist that will share hi experiences and gide you for FREE!!!!!
    yes we all will like to be avail to recoup the money and time that we spend learning how to work with some particular process that will be awsome Go . know is spend lots of green backs along the way and I am not even close to where I want to be that said you could by the prints I listed on the gallery .
    BUT that does not bring me any closer to my goals and if some nobody asks me how to do what I do I will be glad to share to the extend that I can set that person on a track of sorts No I will not give out all the details for I belive that that will be a terrible mistake we learn from others and by doing . What is worst to pass on what you learned or to take it to the grave !!!
    well enought rambling
    thanks Per
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin