Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,030   Online: 769

Shooter
    Multi Format

John Coffer Wetplate Workshop?

Hello,
    I am considering attending one of John Coffers 3 day wetplate collodion workshops offered this spring beautiful upstate New York. Has anyone taken one of his workshops?...If yes, what was it like? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    Thomas Raupach

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Thomas,

I haven't taken a workshop from John Coffer but I have signed on to do so for the end of May. I have his "Doer's Guide" and new instructional DVD and both are very informative for someone starting out. The cost of the manual is also credited towards workshop tuition so it is a pretty good investment especially if you are kicking around the idea of taking a workshop.

Coincidentally I also received a letter from him today in which he offered some advice to help solve a problem I've been experiencing lately as I attempt some ambrotypes. He seems very down-to-earth and helpful, and he comes highly recommended by everyone I've ever corresponded with about wetplate collodion.

I'm really looking forward to his workshop. I think it will be very informative and great fun.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for your post. A great idea, I will order his CD's and workbook now before going. I like the concept of having the workshop outdoors in spring and plan to camp at his place as offered. I have not yet decided which weekend to go but I'll let you know. I may join you the last weekend in May, it would be great to meet. I plan to fly into Rochester, try to visit the Eastman Kodak House before heading to the workshop. I'll keep you posted, perhaps there will be others.
    Thanks Thomas Z.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thomas,

Another consideration is that wetplate is very sensitive to heat and doing an earlier workshop may minimize problems associated with hot weather. Although on the flip side, if anyone should know remedies for heat problems I would think John Coffer would have the experience. I'm doing the earliest workshop because it allows the remainder of the summer to practice wetplate (and it is a good excuse to take a few extra days of work off before the holiday). Coffer also holds something called a "Tintype Jamboree" for alumni at the end of July so I'm hoping to make that as well.

I'll be camping too. Maybe we will get a chance to meet.

Joe

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traupach
    Hello,
    I am considering attending one of John Coffers 3 day wetplate collodion workshops offered this spring beautiful upstate New York. Has anyone taken one of his workshops?...If yes, what was it like? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    Thomas Raupach

I took this workshop last May and it was a fantastic experience in every way.
    The location is stunning, John is an incredibly knowledgeable, kind and generous man and you'll learn so much in the 30+ hours of training (your ALWAYS talking wetplate-even over the campfire) that you'll continue to 'download' this information from your brain for years to come. And it'll make you question the way we live and work and whether we're really better off than we were 100 years ago. PM me if you want any additional info-I know the area pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again Vic and Joe for your posts. VIc thanks for the offer I will PM you if I need more info.
    I send off a letter to John C. today making reservations for the workshop. Just going through the process of writing a letter and sending it regular mail and not expecting a rsponse for a few weeks made me realize how crazy technology has gotten and how it controls us. I am really existed about spending a weekend up there in nature making wetplates!!
    Joe - I had to make reservations for JUne 8-10..I am going with a friend and this is the weekend that would work for both of us.
    Lets stay in touch about this.
    Best Regards,
    Thomas R.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin