Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,059   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do any of you remember one of the assistants who did platinum prints? I think his name was Carlos Richardson, or at least that is what I remember. Anyone know of if he is still active?

Allen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Reunion

So when are we going to stage a reunion?
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR
    I think his name was Carlos Richardson, or at least that is what I remember. Anyone know of if he is still active?
    This might be the same Carlos Richardson.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill,

Yup, that sounds like the same person. Thanks!

Allen

I attended the August, 1980, Zone VI workshop, and can truly say it was a transforming experience. Not that my images became any better immediately afterwards, but at least I had been exposed to some well-made and wonderfully printed images. I came away with a new appreciation for the possibilities of the medium and a few new tools with which to carry on my own work. I also gained a new respect for the individuality of photographers' vision and expression. Yes, access to Fred was tough to get, especially if you were fairly "green," which I was at the time. (I think I'm more of a yellow-brown now.) But, he did take time to critique each and every student's work at some point in during the 10 days. 10 days -- A hell of a bargain even then. Fred surrounded himself with a great staff, and the volume of their production was astounding. A new show of different staff work went up every other day or so. A lot of photographers "diss" Fred as a great salesman but not much of a photographer. I found him to have a discerning eye and great sensitivity to subject matter, whether it was a rock or a human being. Those who criticize his work probably never saw it close-up and in person.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Although I never attended a workshop, I have all the newsletters and his drying screens, and his video and as well some very bad sample prints.
    I imagine Fred would be a very strong supporter of APUG, in fact this site really reminds me of him and what he did over those years.
    I hate crowds and controlled envioronments so I never went to the workshops. Now I am hosting a conference . go figure

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have to agree with Peter. Sadly, I never attended a workshop (couldn't afford it!), but I read all the newsletter from beginning to end at least twenty times, read the Workshop book many times, watched all the videos several times, and have bought every book of Picker's work I could find. At first, I did not appreciate his work, but now I find his work excellent and inspirational as I have come to understand the subtlety of his compositions and approach. Besides being a hell of a salesman and an excellent "vision man" for getting great products into production, he was also a superb photographer whose work will stand the test of time.

I corresponded by e-mail with him shortly after the war in Kosovo. He nicely agreed to allow his Workshop book to be translated into Albanian at no charge, along with his newsletters, so local photographers there could start to explore the Zone System, something they had not known before. I will always be greatful to Fred for his knowledge and dedication to photography, no matter what kind of fights he may have had with Ron Wisner or anything else. He is sadly missed.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    By the way, my darkroom also has virtually everything Zone VI ever manufactured -- best equipment ever made!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Zone VI

Just finished making a print using a zone vi cold light; timer; and washer. Could you ask for anything more? This stuff has been working flawlessly for over 20 years. O.K. I did do a little rehap to my washer but it continues onward.
    Fred Picker was always reachable on the phone at the office. We talked many a time. I have some hilarious notations from an initial zone test where he says my shots "are all over the barn" And that's who Fred was. A real no BS kind of guy. I'm sorry that I never made it to a reunion in Vt. Such is life. I also think it's rediculous to say bad things about people who have passed away. Fred probably did more for the LF community than any other single person....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I couldn't afford it, but when Fred announced in '93 or so that this was to be the last workshop, I made it happen somehow. I can't remember where I borrowed the money now...I hope I paid them back!

I recall leaving the workshop with a fresh sense of dedication to my work. There were a lot of lectures and demonstrations. We went on several short trips, both to photograph and to Lil's gallery. The printing demo was held at Fred's house. We didn't do any printing or developing film.

My clearest memory of the workshop is my print review with Fred; boy was I nervous!

Fred had a huge impact on my work. I live in Vermont and enjoy photographing many of the same types of scenes. My working habits and choice of materials and equipment were largely influenced by him at that time. See what I mean: www.edpiercephoto.com

Last September I was very fortunate in getting a grant and attended another, very different workshop; with John Sexton in Colorado. This was geared specifically to large format, "landscape" genre photography. It was much smaller, more intimate, more work, and thoroughly enjoyable. I did have to struggle with "unlearning" some things I'd learned from Fred. Now however I have another whole set of tools to choose from.

As others have noted, the most valuable part of my zone vi experience was seeing great prints in person for the first time, and beginning to develop a vocabulary to understand them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin