Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,376   Posts: 1,682,963   Online: 625

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It has been a pleasure reading these alumni posts. During Fred's "workshop period", I was busy managing a business career and raising a young family... so I had neither the time nor the money to attend his workshops. However, my darkroom is completely Zone VI outfitted. Moreover, I have all of the tapes and each newsletter as well as all of his books (I regularly purchase the Zone VI workshop book from ebay to give as gifts to young serious photography students). I've done all of the tests and many of the exercises. I am jealous listening to all of the accounts. I talked to Fred on the phone many times (I was even yelled at by him for having dumb questions without "trying things" before asking). I even have a couple of emails from him about 2 months before he passed away. This indirect contact with Fred really changed the quality of my photography. In addition, I've been able to apply his lessons in discipline and hard work to other areas of my life.

There is one common thread that I have found among his critics. Typically, they are people who read a lot of things, jump from one thing to another without locking in and really learning one thing well. Fred's style of "stick to it" discipline would not be appealing to people of the "easy access" persuasion. I'll always remember Fred's admonition about never following anyone's advice until that person shows you their high quality finished photographs rather then just technical theory...

Thanks for all of the memories

Ed
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    ...I had neither the time nor the money to attend his workshops. However, my darkroom is completely Zone VI outfitted.
    I've heard several people say this in this thread. Expensive for the time maybe, I think I spent some $750.00 on the full week, food AND lodging. Pretty good I think. I was a lowly student then and had money to burn from a summer dye transfer lab job I had at the time. However, this is MUCH less than outfitting your darkroom with his gear! Perhaps this is why I only had a Zone VI meter and cold light head!

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    I've heard several people say this in this thread. Expensive for the time maybe, I think I spent some $750.00 on the full week, food AND lodging. Pretty good I think. I was a lowly student then and had money to burn from a summer dye transfer lab job I had at the time. However, this is MUCH less than outfitting your darkroom with his gear! Perhaps this is why I only had a Zone VI meter and cold light head!
    Bill
    During the late 70s and 80s, there was no way that my wife was going to allow me to take $750 (that would not have included the plane fare) out of the family budget to take myself away on a "frivolous" photography trip when that same amount could have taken the entire family away for a week at the beach at that time. In the late 80s and early 90s, I had a sports portraiture business on the side and I used the proceeds to buy Zone VI equipment. Over the years, the remainder of it was purchased used from Ebay and other sources at a time when my kids were educated and out of the house thereby giving me more disposable income for hobbies.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    During the late 70s and 80s, there was no way that my wife was going to allow me to take $750....disposable income for hobbies.
    I understand completely. I considered it part of my schooling and a business expense. For me, photography has never been a hobby. In fact, I could use one of those!

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Attended in 1980 and thorourly enjoyed the learning experience. In my mind ,Fred's workshop, books and Newsletters were great I still have the workshop notes, the book, and all the Newsletters. All the instructors were well qualified to teach; their artistry ranged from good to outstanding. Best thing was the "community spirit" of the group including the instructors. Formed several long time friends. Who stands out Martin Tartar, instructor, a very patient and knowledgeable man.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    I has not able to attend any of Fred's workshops, but I did buy one of his personal lens. I enjoyed his newsletters and still use many of his products in the darkroon.
    Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Reunion

I still think a Zone VI reunion would be a great idea. If for nothing more than than to bring prints; tell stories and swap ideas. There's a lot to be said for the ideas that Fred put forth. Thankfully I've moved upward and onward with my own style of Photography but I sure as hell know where my roots are....if anyone is actually interested in this and lives on the East coast feel free to PM me.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Attended in 1980 and thorourly enjoyed the learning experience. In my mind ,Fred's workshop, books and Newsletters were great I still have the workshop notes, the book, and all the Newsletters. All the instructors were well qualified to teach; their artistry ranged from good to outstanding. Best thing was the "community spirit" of the group including the instructors. Formed several long time friends. Who stands out Martin Tartar, instructor, a very patient and knowledgeable man.
    I was at the Auguast 1980 workshop; the one Paul Horowitz (I probably misspelled the surname....sorry Paul) attended. Had a great time until the last day. Pretty near everyone came down with a case of salmonella. There were a couple of physicians and one pharmacist in the class & they made a valiant attempt to make everyone feel better and track down the source of infection. I think the conclusion was a contaminated cutting board.
    If I had a chance to do it again I would, salmonella & all. This thread has inspired me to reread my workshop notes and Zone VI Newsletters. Lots of good stuff there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What would be really cool is to somehow intregrate a lot of the notes from the newsletters into APUG historical data base.

I am not sure of the logistics and legalities of this but , this community of APUGers reminds me of the community of Mr Pickers that I envisioned in my mind.

As others pointed out , his stick to it teaching, practice practice and practice is so valid today. It seems a lot of people switch film emulsions, developers, papers at the drop of the hat and really don't perfect a style , before moving on and testing another combination.

I have all his notes and if anyone in the Toronto GTA want to come to my shop and sit and read them onsite*I do not let them out of the lab as all my treasured books* every weekend I print and the front is very quiet and condusive to sit and read for a couple of hours.

I think Mr Picker was a very underrated teacher of photography and I wish I had ponied up the money to go to Vermont and meet him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never got to go to the workshops but I have all the Zone VI videos and most of the newsletters. There's some great information there and I often refer to sections. I wish there were some way to get the missing newsletters. I think Calumet owns the rights to them??

I enjoyed reading some of the funny stuff like Fred saying: (I've gotten whole rolls of haphazardly exposed pictures of a cocker spaniel or a new baby together with a note asking "what is my ASA?") or "Assume you are in the wrong place"

His book "The Zone VI workshop" was an eye opener for me in understanding the zone system.

Like Bob, I regret not being able to attend one of his workshops.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin