Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,324   Posts: 1,536,918   Online: 1124

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was at the 1980 workshop, and it was a great experience. Amazing that 2 others posted about their attendance at this one! I bought a Martin Tartar print like someone mentioned from another year too. This workshop was a premier event for me, nothing like it then or since. I missed out on the food poisoning fiasco, but remember it well. I made detailed notes and typed them up, still have them. And Paul Horowitz was fascinating, he's since moved on to SETI research, he has a web site too. Great stuff folks! When's the reunion?

Best, Todd Foster, Cathedral City, CA.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if anybody will see this on such an old thread. I was thinking about Mr. Picker, googled and looked up Wes Disney and Susan Barron. Then back to Picker and bingo; here are some of the people I have thought of lately my fellow students from 1980, yes it was 1980 because of the food issue that I felt all the way down 95 back to VA from Vermont! LOL, I would not have traded that workshop for anything - but that last night was well someone must remember that. :O). Fantastic workshop still one of my very fondest memories from my earlier photo years. Getting to eat sleep and breath photography was heaven for me. I believe I have read 3 posts by members from my class too cool, I will be coming back to look at the work! I was really just thinking of you guys very recently amazing synchronicity and wonderful internet!

I just joined - may not be able to stay been using digital (forgive me) since 2005 but up till then still film. Here is a link to my blog which has links to my site etc: http://george-elsasser.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

Thanks to you, George, for reviving this thread. I, too, shared the "salmonella session." What a way to end a great experience. It truly was an inspirational 10 days.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for replying Peter! I wish we had a group shot from that year - so I could look at pictures to help me better remember a fantastic 10 days. I do remember eating lunch in town on our one slow day with a fellow student and I had completely forgotten what day of the week it was - always a good sign of a fantastic week away from the usual. I remember hearing I believe Susan Barron playing the piano early one evening and a bunch of us being out on this patio (next to the cafeteria- looking down onto a beautiful little valley?). The notes for me were floating into the mountain air and I felt an incredible spiritual high. I am guessing it was tied to the fact all worries were far from my mind and I was living in that exact moment that was part of the wonderful 10 days of photography and comunity of like minded souls.

Two things still stick out for me till this day, I remember sitting on the grass with a couple of other students listening to Wes Disney (unfortunately it seems he passed in 2000) talk while he sketched and him saying "what artists' need the most is time." Also, Fred's comment about surrounding the information while printing rather than stepping up to it. Here is a link to Wes: http://oogoomountain.blogspot.com/20...6-2000_04.html and http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us Here is a link to Susan: http://www.reliquaire.org/03.html I also really enjoyed Martin's work I will have to see if I can find a link.

george

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    I, too, shared the "salmonella session."
    Ahhh... I think I remember hearing of this. I was the year after.

Good to see the thread revived. I would love to attend a reunion, but I have only been able to track a couple people from my group down in the years since originally starting this thread. One of them was my roomate while there, Ralph Shexnadre. A great guy. I also found Dawna, the woman that took care of the horses at the Putney School. Although not part of the workshop, she was wonderful and became a good friend while there. I don't know if any of you met Jeffrey Campbell there? An older gentleman that taught at the school, but also had nothing to do with the workshop. These people had a lasting influence on me as did the entire experience.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Amazing replies after a 3 year hiatus! Whatever, it's good to hear from other Zone VI workshop alumni. I still have the attendee list handout from 1980 if anyone wants it. I'm impressed by my detailed notes which I painstakingly typed up in those pre word processer days. It's good stuff. I emailed the family members (I guess) who still have Fred's old web address. Apparantly some of his prints are available for sale still, maybe unmounted, but whatever. I'm going to try to get one or two for old times sake. I had his videos transferred to DVD a few years ago, but see that Calumet has them for sale, or did last year. I'm still in Palm Springs area. Anyone in or near, or a sometime visitor? I'm back with a classic Picker style 4 X 5 darkroom after an over 3 year dry spell. Still love it!

Best, Todd Foster.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bill I am going to be attending one with Richard Ritter and Bruce Barlow next month. I am also going to meet a friend that took the workshop with Fred when he was alive who has encouraged me to go.

Jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    I attended in 1984. Ten days. Magical. Fred and Lil taught me just what a good photograph was, and how to look at them. Never seen nor heard anything like it since.

It's good to remember that Fred collected photographs before he began making them. I think that affected his approach to photography in very positive ways.

The best Fred quote ever, which Richard and I have blatantly stolen: "Don't be creative when you should be mechanical, and vice versa."

Peter. A reunion? Hmm. Maybe next year. We'll talk when I see you in October. That could be a lot of fun.
    Bruce Barlow
    author, "Finely Focused" and "More Finely Focused"
    www.bwbarlow.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bruce- I have a reunion everyday when I whip out my zone VI meter and make some real photos!! (hopefully) still open to offers if nothing less than to swap old wives tales
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin