Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 914

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Workshop---Mining Towns of the Southwest

Some weeks ago I posted a poll for a projected workshop for late summer or early autumn 2006. The response indicated that most respondents wished to have a workshop to depict the mining towns of the southwest. This choice was followed by the Great Sand Dunes NM near Alamosa, Colorado. This is to announce that we will conduct a workshop during late September to early November...actual dates will be announced soon.

Paricipation will be limited to eight participants. Attendance will be on a first come, first served basis. I encourage those who may be interested in attending to PM me early.

We will begin the workshop process before the actual day of the workshop by having each of the participants complete and return a questionaire so that we can determine where we can be of maximum benefit to each of the participants. The first evening will be for portfolio reviews and discussion of your individual photographic goals. This will further enable us to help the participants achieve their photographic vision.

I want to begin by stressing that this will be a workshop...participants should come prepared to spend long hours photographing, learning, laughing, and enjoying the remnants of a time past. This workshop will emphasize actually photographing. Topics covered would be determining proper exposure, film developing considerations to coincide with lighting and exposure. This workshop will cover seeing photographically....how to impart depth to your images and how to produce exposures that express your vision. This will be consistent with nurturing and furthering the growth of your individual photographic efforts. We will strive to have our efforts address the individual needs of each of the participants.

Because of time constraints, there will be no darkroom procedures covered in this workshop. I will be conducting additional darkroom workshops beginning in the winter of 2006-2007.

Dates, costs, and other details of all workshops are being finalized and will be announced soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don
    Now this is one that I would love to attend.

Good luck and I am sure you will teach them stacks.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    Who is "we"?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Who is "we"?
    Mark, I am finalizing the details on this. Several other photographers who have had long periods of large format experience have indicated an interest in teaching this workshop with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Mark, I am finalizing the details on this. Several other photographers who have had long periods of large format experience have indicated an interest in teaching this workshop with me.
    So... is this just for large format shooters, then?
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    So... is this just for large format shooters, then?

Jeanette,

I am sorry to have missed your question until Lee Carmichael pointed it out to me.

This workshop is open to all photographers who use film.

I will post an itinerary the first of next week with costs etc.

As an inducement, this workshop will feature a presentation entitled [COLOR=Blue]The Language of Photography Learning a Second Language. [/COLOR] This presentation will be very comprehensive and cover matters of compositional consideration as well as symbolic meaning of photographic elements. It is material that has never, to my knowledge, been presented in this context and with this degree of comprehensive consideration as it applies to photography.

Participants of this workshop will experience a totally new way of approaching their photography with a new set of tools and a new language from which to proceed. Be prepared for your photography to make a massive step forward.

I look forward to meeting those of you who are able to attend. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I will post the complete itinerary and costs by the middle of next week.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would be really interested if you could somehow demonstrate your point source enlarging setup in addition to the other subjects
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    I would be really interested if you could somehow demonstrate your point source enlarging setup in addition to the other subjects

Aaron, I will be bringing prints that have been printed on the point light source to the portfolio review that will be part of the workshop. However time does not permit darkroom work during this workshop.

I will be conducting two additional darkroom workshops during the winter months of 2006-2007. During both of those workshops we will be working in the darkroom exclusively. My point light source enlarger and my Saunders 4550 VCCE will both be available for use. The first of these workshops cover some of the more basic printing procedures such as split grade printing etc. The second workshop for those who have experience in basic procedures will be more intensive and more advanced and will cover, among other procedures, sharp and unsharp masking of the camera negative and dye dodging of the camera negative. Participants, after attending the advanced darkroom procedures workshop, will have a comprehensive set of darkroom tools and the knowledge of when to best apply them.

I would like to have you attend whichever of these would best serve your needs and benefit you in the practice of your photography. Thanks for your response.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This will be the first of a series of posts to keep you informed and updated on the workshop in the Mining Towns of the Southwest.

This emphasis of this workshop will be seeing and vision. I can promise you that if you attend this workshop and wish to incorporate the material presented that your photography will have the means and the potential to make massive shifts in both uniqueness and in expressing your personal vision in your photography. There are any number of workshops that cover technical aspects and we will stand ready to answer any and all technical questions that arise...but the emphasis will be on something that is not offered except in one other case...that is how to see photographically and how to develop your own personal vision. The location will be in several old mining towns that lie outward from Phoenix Arizona.

When I indicate "we" I mean to indicate Lee Carmichael a long time large format photographer from Fort Worth, Texas and myself...with well over twenty years of photography experience, I assure you that we will offer something of lasting value and benefit. We, combined, have nearly fifty years of experience in personal expression through our photography. I won't say that we know it all...but we know where to look and who to ask for those things that we may not have immediate answers for.

The workshop will be open to all photographers who use film as the primary photographic process. While Lee and I both work with large format equipment, we also are well versed in medium format and 35 mm.

The dates of the workshop will be October 5, 6, 7, and 8, 2006. Attendees should plan on being in Phoenix, Arizona by 6 PM on Thursday October 5. We will meet at my home at 7 PM that evening (address and directions will be provided to those who indicate that they will attend). That evening will be the first opportunity for us to meet and become acquainted. Additionally that evening I will present [COLOR=Blue]"The Language of Photography, Learning a second language". [/COLOR]

This presentation will provide to you that decide to attend the means by which you will begin to bring new vision to your photography. I promise you that you will never have all of this infomation provided by anyone at one time and in the same context. This presentation will be the foundation from which we will photograph the next three days. This is truly a new language that you will have the opportunity to learn and to practice. This will provide to you the foundation for a new beginning from that point forward.

The next morning (October 6,2006) we will travel to Globe and to Miami, Arizona. for a full day of photographing in these old copper mining towns. On Friday evening October 6, 1006 we wll have a portfolio review (those attending will be asked to bring examples of their recent work). The purpose of the review will be to determine what we can do to benefit you in your photography. This is a time for us all to learn how and what we would be able to improve upon. We will also be drawing for a couple of door prizes. Both Lee and I will provide to those in attendence a fine print suitable for framing. Thus to those who attend two chances are made available to win one of these prints. Certificates of attendence will be presented to those who have attended.

The following day (October 7, 2006) we will photograph in the historic mining town of Superior, Arizona. There are numerous opportunities in all three of these towns for new and original photographs. Lee and I will be available on all the days for your assistance should you wish it. In other words, you have our collective experience and knowledge at your disposal. If you have questions, we are available to you. The evening of Saturday (October 7, 2006) Lee Carmichael will provide us with his presentation on[COLOR=Blue] "Developing a Personal Vision, Bringing Uniqueness to your Images." [/COLOR] I promise that you will not want to miss this presentation...the benefit of a lot of years experience will be shared with you on that evening.

On Sunday (October 8, 2006) we will return to Phoenix. Those who have early flights or travel requirements will be able to meet their flights. Those who have later flights will be invited to photograph at the grain facilities of the Morrison Brothers Ranch in Gilbert, Arizona. This is the location of many of the recent images that I have posted in the Apug galleries.

The cost of this workshop is $450.00 per person. Travel, lodging and meals will be the responsibility of those attending. I will provide a list of possible lodging and it may be possible for those who wish to share rooms. I will provide those choices at a later date. To this point the workshop is half full so a limited number of openings exist. I ask that those who wish to attend to send me one half of your payment by July 1, 2006. The second half will be due on September 1, 2006. If you are forced by some unknown reason to cancel your reservation your initiial payment will be refunded to thirty days prior to the workshop. After that time your payment may be subject to surrender...depending on whether we can fill your space with someone else who can attend.

Thank you for your consideration. I promise you that this will make possible for you to have major improvements in your photography. Good luck and good light to all of you.
    Last edited by Donald Miller; 04-26-2006 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    On Friday evening October 6, 1006 we wll have a portfolio review.
    You provide time travel

I have shot in all of these places except the ranch. They are fine places to be and for those who do not wish to shoot buildings, the surrounding countryside is beautiful.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin