Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,287   Online: 1122

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Emulsion Making and Coating

Just a reminder to those interested. I will be giving a one week workshop starting on the 18th of June at the Photographers Formulary in Montana.

See the details here: http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

I plan on showing the attendees how to make AgCl, AgCl/I, AgBr and AgBrI emulsions for paper and film use with the capability of contact, enlarging and camera speeds and with blue and orthochromatic sensitivity. Each person will then get an opportunity to make these emulsions themselves.

I will be bringing some high quality Phthalated Gelatin with me, such as is used by Eastman Kodak. We will be using it to learn the arcane art of ISO washing of emulsions, along side the more traditional noodle washing of emulsions.

I will discuss metal dopants, contrast control and sulfur and gold finishing as well as spectral sensitization. After learning these techniques, the attendees will coat at least 3 contrast grades of paper for contact printing and enlarging, and will then make prints using their own coatings.

Each attendee will get a chance to use the new coating blades in both 4x5 and 8x10 format and will see the prototype film blade and 11x14 blade. These two prototypes will be available for use as well.

I will have literally dozens of samples of coatings on a wide variety of paper supports including Baryta and RC that were hand coated. This includes a variety of surfaces as well such as Watercolor and Velour. Coatings on paper weights of about 90# through 300# will also be shown. Film coating examples will be included.

I hope that this can contribute to the heritage of conventional analog photography.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have no idea, of just how envious I am of those participants.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Mick said.

Is there any chance of you doing his workshop again in ... oh, lets say next june?
    To have it take place on the other side of the inconveniently placed Atlantic Ocean, might be a tad too much to ask for, though.

envious -- MW

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds great, Ron. I'm still not sure about my fall schedule, but I hope I'll be able to attend the workshop in New York.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Man what Mick and MW said totally envious... Ever thing of doing one on the west coast say in CA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There will be a repeat in NYC in September, and based on the response to both of these workshops, there will be more next year (2007). I also plan to continue my R&D and come up with more new emulsions and techniques for improving speed and coating quality.

I have another thread here somewhere with requests for suggested workshops. I will also try to consider other locations as well, but I have to have a proper venue for presenting this, as it does take a decent photo lab setup to do the workshop justice.

I don't know where to turn for this. The two workshops that I am doing are being done by invitation from the sponsoring organizations.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Link to Formulary and new flyer now available.

I was just sent this link by the Formulary, and they suggested that I post it in this thread to answer any remaining questions.

http://www.photoformulary.com/images...y-workshop.pdf

If the above does not work, try the following:

http://www.photoformulary.com/images...eyWorkshop.pdf

It also gave them a chance to throw in a dirty trick.

The flyer has a 40 year old picture of me, taken after one of my in-flight photo missions.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 04-26-2006 at 09:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can't make it, but wish you all the best! This is important knowledge to share.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gonna video this ?

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About the video, not enough manpower or equipment available to do the job.

Maybe if I do it next year, but IDK.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin