Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,674   Online: 882

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to inform you about Cambridge and its photographic possibilities ;-))

http://www.darknessandlight.co.uk
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the link mono. It's exciting discovering a whole new landscape, but avoiding the cliched scenes will be difficult. The city from the river does seem like an alternative viewpoint, but awkward to do in practice.

I've been working on a project for the last few years, looking at the ancient British cultures and their mark on the landscape here in Ulster, focusing mainly on stone formations.

I don't think I can continue the theme in Cambridge, but would be interested in any pre-Roman sites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday
    I've been working on a project for the last few years, looking at the ancient British cultures and their mark on the landscape here in Ulster, focusing mainly on stone formations.

I don't think I can continue the theme in Cambridge, but would be interested in any pre-Roman sites.
    I can't think of any of those in the whole of E.Anglia, I don't know if anyone else can? I'd be interested if so. The oldest site I can think of is Sutton Hoo (Viking buriel ground) on the banks of the Deben (Suffolk) - relatively speaking not that old, I suppose (and not that British either)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grimes Graves springs to mind - not, as the name suggests, a burial ground but actually a Neolithic flint mine. It's not a stone formation, but the landscape has been left kind of pitted by these early mine shafts - I believe they've opened one of them which you can visit too.

It's near Thetford in Norfolk, a short drive from Cambridge.
    Last edited by Ben Taylor; 06-23-2006 at 09:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday

There does seem to be a dearth of ancient sites in and around Cambridgeshire for some reason ( http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/...ser/?map=large - takes a few seconds to load it's database, but well worth the wait). Possibly the fens were simply too wet and inhospitable in those times to be attractive places to live...

In any event, happy hunting!

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've come across a few excellent locations; Flag Fen and Sea Henge although the latter seems to have been vandalised by the "experts."

http://www.flagfen.com/seahenge.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember the discovery of Sea Henge now, and all that controversy. There's something about it all that I find very sad....in a way I wish it hadn't been 'discovered'.

On a sideline, when I was a child in Suffolk, Sutton Hoo was just a landscape and a shape in the ground that you could jump down into and play in. No fences, very few people ever there. Just you and your imagination. As it had been for hundreds of years. Now it's mini-theme park, and like Stone Henge, you can't get near it. It's quite nice as they go, and sure it's preserved for posterity, but.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are Roman roads in that area and huge earth walls like Devils Dyke!
    You can buy "Maps of ancient monuments" (I wonder if they are still available nowadays...)

Yes, and Grimes Graves are interesting!
    I think it was 40 years ago that I have been there.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Devil's Dyke is in Sussex, in fact, not Suffolk.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure the Romans got very far at all in E.Anglia. Don't forget Bodeccia was a Norfolk lass. The people there were too wild and hideous and in-bred. They still are...
    Last edited by catem; 06-24-2006 at 05:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Devil's Dyke is in Sussex, in fact, not Suffolk.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure the Romans got very far in E.Anglia. The people there were too wild and hideous and in-bred. They still are...
    Devils Dyke: correct, but not far from Cambridge I think.

The Romans have been there!

Most of all, when he has his eyes open on ancient monuments he will find lots of interesting places in the near or far surroundings there ;-))
    Last edited by mono; 06-24-2006 at 05:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin