Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,481   Online: 1238

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Cambridge,UK clubs and workshops

I'm moving to Cambridge in a month or two. Are there any camera clubs/ workshops with darkroom facitlities in Cambridge?

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday
    I'm moving to Cambridge in a month or two. Are there any camera clubs/ workshops with darkroom facitlities in Cambridge?

Thanks
    Here's a link to the area photographic federation that has a link to clubs in the area. I cannot say if any have darkroom facilities. http://www.eafphotoclubs.co.uk/

I can say that you are moving to a beautiful part of England, and will not be short of photographic opportunity for many years.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Gary,

Sorry, I can't answer your question. However, I just wanted to say that I found Cambridge to be a really beautiful town, and I would love to visit there again someday.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also found Cambridge to be quite a nice town when I've been there. I belong to an organization that debates every year where to hold its annual conference, and always decides to hold it at Fitzwilliam College.

There are a few good (if not cheap) old camera shops there, so there is bound to be something.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are going to be part of the University there are plenty of options. Most colleges have their own photographic society and there is a university wide one too. Many departments - particularly the technical ones - have darkrooms that staff and trusty students can wangle the use of for personal work. There used to be a university photo lab that was a fair bit cheaper than commercial labs, especially for B+W and anything larger than 35 mm.

Even if you're not part of the University, the exhibitions and slide shows the photo clubs and travel/adventure sports clubs organise can be excellent (or dire :-). Kettle's Yard also often has interesting exhibitions in its gallery space if you're into the contemporary art thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the information folks. I've been scouting around looking at various potential photographic locations, but Cambridge is too bloody flat. In Northern Ireland, I'm surrounded by hills which hug the towns and villages.

What is there to photograph in Cambridge? I'm looking for old trees and landscapes. I'll probably start with the historic buildings and do a series of cyanotypes or something similar.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Then make an asset of it’s flatness, it’s a big sky country. The old college buildings and “backs” are photogenic too; hire a punt (with punter) for an hour or two, and view the city from the water.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Gary

Here is a link to the Cambridge Camera club site. Have been a member for a while but have not been to the meetings of late http://cambcc.org.uk/ . There is a nice group of people at the club and am sure you will find the meetings enjoyable. They meet up every mondya at 7:30 if i remember right. Quite a lot of digital members but their are still some traditional photographers too. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday
    Thanks for the information folks. I've been scouting around looking at various potential photographic locations, but Cambridge is too bloody flat. In Northern Ireland, I'm surrounded by hills which hug the towns and villages.

What is there to photograph in Cambridge? I'm looking for old trees and landscapes. I'll probably start with the historic buildings and do a series of cyanotypes or something similar.
    How far can you go?
    It's still flat but (apologies to people who love Cambridgeshire) more interesting....Suffolk is full of beautiful stretches - ancient scraps of forest, wild and lonely marshlands, stretching to the sea....it's a photographer's paradise (IMHO).

For the lack of hills, I can see your point, but as others have said you have to go with it - if you can, you'll be hooked forever.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101
    Hi Gary

Here is a link to the Cambridge Camera club site. Have been a member for a while but have not been to the meetings of late http://cambcc.org.uk/ . There is a nice group of people at the club and am sure you will find the meetings enjoyable. They meet up every mondya at 7:30 if i remember right. Quite a lot of digital members but their are still some traditional photographers too. Hope this helps.
    The only problem with your club Dave is that it is so popular that it is closed to new members, and has a waiting list in operation. However; here in hilly Northamptonshire the East Midlands Monochrome Goup has plenty of room and welcomes all comers, providing that they can negotiate the mountains of Earls Barton.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin