Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,616   Online: 799

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Trying to Organize a Mid Atlantic Carbon Printing Workshop with Sandy King

The Rockville, Md. Center for the Visual Arts, aka Visarts, would like to host a carbon printing workshop to be conducted by Sandy King. The Executive Director of Visarts would like it to take place in the late September to mid-October time frame. I had originally approached Sandy about doing it in late August to mid September, but the ED pushed it back. She was, however, very receptive to the idea. Visarts is very public about its commitment to traditional film based photography and seems to be putting its money where its mouth is.

A workshop's worth of Sandy's time (2 days?) is not cheap, so in order to get Visarts to commit resources, promote it, etc. I need to have a good idea of the interest around here in such a venture. It would take place over 2 days and would include everything from making your own carbon tissue to making digitally enlarged negatives suitable for carbon printing. (If I'm talking out of school here, Sandy, please jump in and set me straight.) The cost would be about $400. (It might be a little more. It will definitely be less than $500 but no less than $400. As things firm up I'll publish a hard and fast number.)

I already have some firm commitments (2, to be exact) from local photographers with whom I have broached the idea. Of course I am dying to learn carbon printing myself. Sandy tells me that the optimal size is 5 participants, so that puts us more than halfway there.

So, there it is then. Who among you on the East Coast would be interested in driving to Rockville to learn a beautiful alternative process from one of its acclaimed masters?

This is something that John Hoover, Director of Photography at Visarts, and I really want to make happen. So belly up to the bar, Boys (and Girls, of course).

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I might be able to do it...I am planning a DC trip....how close is it to DC?

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

I am definitely interested. But, it will depend on the dates. I am scheduled to attend the Fine Focus Fall Foliage Workshop the last weekend in September and October 15th is a big deadline at work. Once you have a firm date, I can let you know if I am a yes or no. Either way, thanks for organizing this.

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    I might be able to do it...I am planning a DC trip....how close is it to DC?

Dave in Vegas
    Depending upon where in DC you're traveling from, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour by car. A little longer on a bicycle, unless the traffic is really bad in which case the bike is a better bet. You can use Google or Yahoo maps to see it. Visarts is at 9300 Gaither Road, Gaithersburg.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Depending upon where in DC you're traveling from, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour by car. A little longer on a bicycle, unless the traffic is really bad in which case the bike is a better bet. You can use Google or Yahoo maps to see it. Visarts is at 9300 Gaither Road, Gaithersburg.
    Thanks, I will check it out...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    It would take place over 2 days and would include everything from making your own carbon tissue to making digitally enlarged negatives suitable for carbon printing. (If I'm talking out of school here, Sandy, please jump in and set me straight.)
    Jim,

Sorry for the late response but I just saw this thread.

Yes, I do include making carbon tissue and making digitally enlarged negatiives in my workshops.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin