Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,180   Online: 927

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

I will offer hourly paid instruction similar to the workshop for interested students willing to come to Rochester. I will offer free demonstrations to interested parties that visit Rochester, but these demos do not include formulas or data paid for by my students. I think that this is a fair response to the mail I have been getting. Thanks to all for those notes. I will do my best to help you all out.

PE
    Ron,

If you ever plan on offering the full workshop in Rochester, or some place nearer the Midwest than Montana or NYC, please let me know.

Frank W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ron,

You'd think that after 1,698 posts I wouldn't be at a loss for words...but I'm having trouble finding a way to say how important I feel your coating blades and workshops are.

Thanks for sharing what you've learned, and for planting the seeds for future growth.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frank;

I am doing 1:1 instruction at my home in Rochester. I have a space problem and could probably handle 2 in a pinch but that is about it.

Murray;

Thank you. I'm going to keep trying, and will keep adding to the formulas as I go on. I gave out a lot of formulas at the class and am preparing to send more to the students. They can solo now, so all I have to do is send them out.

The number of B&W photo products isn't going to grow much and will inevitably shrink more. I hope this work extends the life of analog forever.

I'm beginning to worry about the life of cameras now. My venerable Nikormat EL failed some months ago so I guess as we see such things happen, we will see more reliance on LF cameras with less gadgets on them to fail. So, I will try to come up with a reliable 100 speed ortho film in LF sizes. Right now, as my class saw, I can get a reasonable 25 - 50 speed ortho film with a high dmin. But, it still needs work.

Warmest regards to you all.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where in the Roc are you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll give you the info in a PM.

See my other post on using your real name vs handles.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I'm just down the road a bit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "If you look in my gallery and see the scanned negative of a large rock - that is the one I printed. My first coatings had some defects so the print wasn't perfect, but the tonality was great."

Will you post a scan of that print you made. I am kind of curious?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can't post scans. Mabe I can scan in something and send it to you privately if you PM me your e-mail address.

Also, as I said earlier in the post, there are coating defects that show up in the print. These happened because it was my first coating and I wasn't used to the blade yet. I can scan in the print and crop out a good section that shows the contrast of the print. There will be a few small defects in that section, but it is mostly very good.

-Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I was just curious. I have heard much from PhotoEngineer about being able to make quality silver chloride paper like AZO but you know what they say... A photo will tell a 1000 words. I don't care that there are some coating defects on your print but I really do care to see what kind of tonal range you were able to achieve from this paper you made. Is the gelating very glossy or matte? Is the image formation sharp like AZO or somewhat close to it?

I don't know why you say you can't post scans? Is this whole venture a top secret thing? If the workshop was positive and the print very good in your own opinion, then, wouldn't it be better for everybody including Photo Engineer to show a scan of a print? That would be great in my opinion!

Thanks for any info you can share!

Christian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colivet
    I was just curious. I have heard much from PhotoEngineer about being able to make quality silver chloride paper like AZO but you know what they say... A photo will tell a 1000 words. I don't care that there are some coating defects on your print but I really do care to see what kind of tonal range you were able to achieve from this paper you made. Is the gelating very glossy or matte? Is the image formation sharp like AZO or somewhat close to it?

I don't know why you say you can't post scans? Is this whole venture a top secret thing? If the workshop was positive and the print very good in your own opinion, then, wouldn't it be better for everybody including Photo Engineer to show a scan of a print? That would be great in my opinion!

Thanks for any info you can share!

Christian
    The coating is glossy, which is a function of the Kentmere byrata paper, not the emulsion. It is bright white. The image is very sharp and shows a deep black and a lot of highlight detail, more than I got in a straight print on Gr2 AZO, the last batch run. I was shocked when I saw my first print. Looking past the errors on my part, I could see the great potential of this. The tonality is very nice, cold blacks and neutral tones. It was very beauitful.

The formula we got from Ron said this was a Gr 2 paper. It seems a little more contrasty to me than that, but that can be caused by the way I mixed the emulsion. I need some practice and I've been working like crazy ordering the stuff I need to setup the lab including upgrading ventilaiton in my darkroom. Then, I'll start refining my emulsion making and coating techniques.

I will look into scanning the print and sending it to someone to upload to this thread. I may get the time this weekend.

-Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin