Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,421   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy

Congratulations and Good Luck. I wish I could see your work and attend the workshop but sadly that will not be possible at the moment.

Maybe one day when you do some workshops in the UK!

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Images
    Turkey is a fabulous place to visit. A real culture shock, yet safe. The food is good, the water clean, the accommodations can be cheap, altho you get what you pay for, and there is no personal crime. My sister lived there for over 14 years and never had a problem. I have visited twice and found it wonderful. Istanbul is fairly easy altho language may be a problem. As my sister spoke Turkish, I had no problems, but the first time I went (1993) I heard very little English. The second time, about 5 years ago, I heard more English. German gets you a long way, tho. Of course, the rug merchants at the Grand Bizarre will know English. However, buy your rugs in the US. They're cheaper there. If you can get to the source of the rugs, then they can be very cheap, but this is far from Istanbul.

Sophia allows flash photography, but no tripods ('camera with legs'). The only way to use is tripod is to write in advance and get a 4 hour permit. And that permit is for a specific 4 hours or a specific day and you must write some 3 months in advance...at least that how it was when I was there. The Blue Mosque is the same altho I don't know about the permits there. Other mosques allow tripods but no flash.

Access is easy and there is no worry about insurance and that crap. I found that if I wanted to take a pic of something odd, I could usually just ask and get permission. As a 'professional photographer' your only threat is to their postcard photographers and then only at places like Blue Mosque, etc. That seems to be how they see it.

If I were to go again, I would take only a 6x7 system. I took 4x5 one time and it was a bunch of hassles. I feel as though I'd take more pix with a smaller camera. For the mosque or Sophia, I'd take a bean bag. Setting up a tripod some place would be okay and others impossible with the crowds of people. Stay as long as you can.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sandy

When you and Mark do the workshop here in Toronto, I would like to have an evening like the APUG confernce first night with Mark and your work. Matted prints like before, I think this would be great for your workshop.
    going away for a couple of weeks to the Bunkie and will not be available till Sept first , but we are on line and can discuss all the details in Sept.
    good luck with this show

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Sandy

When you and Mark do the workshop here in Toronto, I would like to have an evening like the APUG confernce first night with Mark and your work. Matted prints like before, I think this would be great for your workshop.
    going away for a couple of weeks to the Bunkie and will not be available till Sept first , but we are on line and can discuss all the details in Sept.
    good luck with this show

Bob
    Bob,

That sounds great. I am sure Mark will be very interested as well.

Where is the Bunkie? Some sort of resort area in Canada?

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    If I were to go again, I would take only a 6x7 system. I took 4x5 one time and it was a bunch of hassles. I feel as though I'd take more pix with a smaller camera. For the mosque or Sophia, I'd take a bean bag. Setting up a tripod some place would be okay and others impossible with the crowds of people. Stay as long as you can.
    As for my travel camera, it will be medium format. I am debating between a Pentax 67II and a few lenses, or a Fuji GW690III. Or one of the the two plus a Fuji GA645Zi. Or maybe just the GA645Zi.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds interesting.
    I love Istanbul and I have friends from there, it would be great to go back,
    especially for a good photography workshop.
    I will think about it.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    To follow up on Roger's post, you may want to have a bit of "tip" money handy at all times. Rather than looking on it as extortion, look upon it as a chance to see how little is needed to make the wheels turn. Baksheesh is alive and well in Mexico, Turkey and many other countries. It is simply the cost of doing business. The phrase "Isn't there some way we can come to an agreement?" is very useful when traveling.

Enjoy the trip Sandy, glad to see you are being recognized for your hard work and technical proficiency. Best, tim
    Baksheesh - also known as 'a wee drink'
    Can anyone name a country where it does not exist?
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Bob,

That sounds great. I am sure Mark will be very interested as well.

Where is the Bunkie? Some sort of resort area in Canada?

Sandy
    Sandy

The Bunkie is a boat house with dock on Pine Lake three miles out of Gravenhurst Muskoka region. We sleep 10 ft from the water and barbeque on the deck. No running water but if my 85year old grandmother could use the out house, so can I. Good fishing and clean swimming, my little paridise .
    It will be great to have another party with your and Marks work showcased. I will invite somewhat the same crowd with a private hour first for any attendees to your workshops.
    Same idea Matted prints to sit on the ledge, enough to fill the main room.

Spoke to Fuji and they are sourcing a fujiclear roll of film for Mark and I to start testing in Sept.
    Lots of interest in medium size platinums, 16x20 therabout sizes.

best regards to You and Mark

Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry am I to strike a sour note on this issue. I am very much against this.

Mr. King is, in my opinion, a national treasure. He should not be encouraged , and would be well advised not to leave the country.

I know that it would cost the people who would attend this workshop
    more money and time to come to the states. SO WHAT..they would still receive full value from my King.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Sorry am I to strike a sour note on this issue. I am very much against this.

Mr. King is, in my opinion, a national treasure. He should not be encouraged , and would be well advised not to leave the country.

I know that it would cost the people who would attend this workshop
    more money and time to come to the states. SO WHAT..they would still receive full value from my King.
    Well Claire, my wife got a big laugh out of that one. After laughing with a lot of gusto (and this gal has a big laugh even when subdued!) she allowed that in spite of my exalted national status I was pretty much worthless around the house, and if I wanted to be any kind of local treasure the way to start would be by cleaning my bathroom.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 08-17-2006 at 10:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin