Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,026   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Workshop and Exhibition by Sandy King in Turkey

I will be participating in an exhibition of photography at the 1st IFSAK International Biennial of Photography in Istanbul Turkey, beginning on September 15. My work will include about 20-25 prints, primarily carbon, but also a few palladium and kallitypes. Subject matter is primarily urban architecture and landscapes.

While in Turkey I will also conduct a 3-4 day workshop on carbon printing, scheduled for mid-October.

If anyone would like more information about either of these activities please contact me by private email.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent. Congratulations Sandy!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Excellent. Congratulations Sandy!
    Thanks Bill. Istanbul, or Constantinople as it was know until the Otoman Turks captured the crown city of orthodox catholicism in the the mid-15 century, is one of the places I have most wanted to visit in all of th world, and never had an opportunity until know.

History tells us that the fall of Constantinople closed the borders for all of Europe to the land route to the spice treasurers of the east, and is one of the major reasons for the sea exploration by the Spainards and Portuguese in the last half of the 15th century to find a sea route to those spice treasureres. At one point in time some of the spices that were brought back were moren than a thousand times the value of gold.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    is one of the places I have most wanted to visit in all of th world
    I was wondering if you had prior experience there. What a wonderful opportunity. It sounds as if you have a lot of time in country as well. Any plans of a photographic project aside from the workshops, or are you just planning to be a tourist?

Again, congratulations. It sounds wonderful.

B.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Sandy,

First, congratulations.

I've only been to Istanbul once, and I have to say that although I didn't like the place, I did get a disproportionate number of good pictures. And Hagia Sofiya/Ayia Sophia/choose your spelling is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.

You know the standard image of Turkish officials as fat, badly shaven, dressed in ill-fitting uniforms, and corrupt? Well, that was my first experience of the place: a fat, etc., immigration official who stole ten pounds (UK, not Turkish) off me as I arrived. The Turks are to be congratulated on their attempts to build a modern secular state -- even unbelievers are permitted to see the relics of the Prophet -- but it's still worth being wary of officialdom.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To follow up on Roger's post, you may want to have a bit of "tip" money handy at all times. Rather than looking on it as extortion, look upon it as a chance to see how little is needed to make the wheels turn. Baksheesh is alive and well in Mexico, Turkey and many other countries. It is simply the cost of doing business. The phrase "Isn't there some way we can come to an agreement?" is very useful when traveling.

Enjoy the trip Sandy, glad to see you are being recognized for your hard work and technical proficiency. Best, tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

I'm looking forward to seeing your exhibition.

Btw, I never tip to make wheels turn (I do tip in restaurants if the service was good), and I think I can get along. But that may be because I'm a turk.

Cheers,
    omar

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Tim,

Sorry, I should have added that the vast majority of non-official Turks I met could hardly have been more charming, as were all the officials at the Topkapi museum. It was just that being hit with one parody of an old-fashioned corrupt official, the first Turk I spoke to, left a very nasty taste.

Frances wasn't keen about 'Grandmother!' as a term of respect, either...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Congratulations Sandy!! I wish I could attend. Fortunately, those people are going to get the opportunity to see your work - it is simply stunning.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I will be participating in an exhibition of photography at the 1st IFSAK International Biennial of Photography in Istanbul Turkey, beginning on September 15. My work will include about 20-25 prints, primarily carbon, but also a few palladium and kallitypes. Subject matter is primarily urban architecture and landscapes.

While in Turkey I will also conduct a 3-4 day workshop on carbon printing, scheduled for mid-October.

If anyone would like more information about either of these activities please contact me by private email.

Sandy King
    Hi Sandy,

Will you be hooking up with Loris Medici in Turkey? Seems like he might be a good contact.
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin