Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,630   Online: 1137

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Looking to take a printing workshop

I am looking into taking a printing workshop. Alan Ross lives nearby and I am thinking of doing a weekend with him. Any other suggestions/recommendations?

thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How about a workshop from either Bruce Barnbaum, Don Kirby, or Lynn Radeka? John Sexton also has a good workshop program.

Bruce and Don's week long photography workshop is very good. I know quite a few people that took this workshop, and learned a lot.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree about Bruce's workshop, but don't forget Les McLean. He has a few workshops here during the year. Catch one of his as well.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Alan Ross spoke and showed his work at the ViewCamera conference. He really is good and a very nice person to boot. Hard to argue with being picked to print 80,000 prints for the Ansel Adams foundation.

He talked about a multiple day and state shooting workshop that sounded great, but more than I could afford with travel from Cleveland.

Be sure what he is teaching in the printing workshop coincides with what you want to learn. He said that AA never made a straight print and proceeded to show us. Roughly 1/3rd was done in traditional wet darkroom steps, but 2/3rds was done in the more current photoshop steps. Being resident here that is not my cuppa, but I am quite in the minority elsewhere and the man gets great results.

Your call.

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do know Don and own one of his prints. I think I will email him to see if he is available.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would recommend Alan, as well as many others suggested.

One thing to keep in mind: is it only printing you have in mind, or would you be interested in development techniques, toning, masking, etc.?

Once one has a negative in hand, there are many paths to get to a final print and how it is displayed.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I too would recommend Alan Ross.

I can make time for a one on one at my darkroom here in Texas also.

lee\c

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Assuming there is still a Maine Photographic Workshops to go to next year, check out theirs!
    They have great facilities and attract the best people for instructors.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David -

A couple of questions. First, when are you wanting to take the workshop? There are workshops throughout the year, but there are even more clustered during the summer. If you could wait until next summer, you will have a larger choice.

Second, what travel constraints do you have? Others have mentioned Maine. Peters Valley Workshops in New Jersey are also very good. Photographer's Formulary has a series of excellent workshops. Michael and Paula have workshops at their home in Pennsylvania (focused, naturally, on contact printing). Howard Bond has had some good workshops although he has muttered something about this past year being the last.
    Louie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin