Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,149   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

lith printing & toning workshop update

The Photographer's Formulary have alerted me that the lith workshop here:
    ( http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=4&tabid=26 )
    is already almost full (11 out of a max of 12), so they have suggested that they could run a second week if more wanted to come, rather than turn people away.
    This would be OK with me and it would be nice to meet some more Apuggers there too, so if anyone is interested, please let them know so that we can make changes to dates and flights as soon as possible.

many thanks
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh how I wish I could go to this. My money/time will be tied up on the vacation I'm taking around that time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    The Photographer's Formulary have alerted me that the lith workshop here:
    ( http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=4&tabid=26 )
    is already almost full (11 out of a max of 12), so they have suggested that they could run a second week if more wanted to come, rather than turn people away.
    This would be OK with me and it would be nice to meet some more Apuggers there too, so if anyone is interested, please let them know so that we can make changes to dates and flights as soon as possible.

many thanks
    Tim
    Do you do workshops in the UK?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tim, are there any plans for more Australian workshops? It must be about six years since you were here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Do you do workshops in the UK?
    I'm happy to do so Keith, when I can. However, whereas I used to get asked to do more workshops here (UK and Spain) than the US, now it's the opposite. A number of the darkroom workshop centres have either closed or shifted emphasis to digital and/or field work, and I now get very few practical workshop requests here - which is OK in one way (although sad in another) as there is only so much time to go around and I don't do them for a living as such, but do I enjoy them and I enjoy encouraging the continuation of the craft.

I think the resurgence of darkroom interest in the US, after the digital migration, has not yet happened here to the same extent. Maybe it will in due course. Because of other commitments this year I have reduced my workshops quite a bit though and the PF ones are currently the only ones I am doing in the US this year.

I do accept some lecture requests when I can - for example there is a weekend event in Yorkshire this month and I am doing two lectures there. I'll post a thread about that too. I expect there are places available.
    There is a link here
    http://www.rps.org/events_details.php?ID=147

Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Tim, are there any plans for more Australian workshops? It must be about six years since you were here.
    Not that I am aware of Kevin. I have been in 'OZ' twice now for a month each time - it's a great place, but rather expensive for organizers to fly Brits out to.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am one of the 11 signed up for the workshop at Photographers Formulary in Sept. and I can hardly wait. I am so excited. Can't wait to meet you Tim. I'm sure when I get back I'll probably want to trash all the lith prints I'm making now but I'm going to continue as I'm having so much fun in the darkroom these days with lith.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson View Post
    I am one of the 11 signed up for the workshop at Photographers Formulary in Sept. and I can hardly wait. I am so excited. Can't wait to meet you Tim. I'm sure when I get back I'll probably want to trash all the lith prints I'm making now but I'm going to continue as I'm having so much fun in the darkroom these days with lith.
    I'm sure we will have great fun Gay - and yes (re the other thread on toning) we will be doing toning for lith, duo-toning and bleach & lith redevelopment as well.
    Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be attending this one, as well. I'm looking forward to it so much!

Unlike Gay, I've not even dipped a toe into the waters of lith printing as of yet - though I have both of your lith books, Tim, and feel empowered by what I've read.

Which brings me to a (slightly off-topic, forgive me) question: in your experience as teacher and lecturer, does it behoove the new student to have a few lith prints already under their belts prior to taking a workshop? Or is there a slight edge to walking into the workshop having done none at all, with no "bad habits" to unlearn? I can see pros and cons of either approach, and wondered if you had any thoughts on that.

Thanks in advance, and see you in September!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by terri View Post
    I'll be attending this one, as well. I'm looking forward to it so much!

Unlike Gay, I've not even dipped a toe into the waters of lith printing as of yet - though I have both of your lith books, Tim, and feel empowered by what I've read.

Which brings me to a (slightly off-topic, forgive me) question: in your experience as teacher and lecturer, does it behoove the new student to have a few lith prints already under their belts prior to taking a workshop? Or is there a slight edge to walking into the workshop having done none at all, with no "bad habits" to unlearn? I can see pros and cons of either approach, and wondered if you had any thoughts on that.

Thanks in advance, and see you in September!
    Yes I have thoughts on this Terri.
    I doubt that it will matter that you haven't made a lith print before. The process runs on 'new rules' to those of conventional B&W printing. Sometimes people who don't have deeply ingrained routines adapt easier.
    It is not unusual that people come along having yet to make their first Lith print - you'll be making them by the end of day 1, no problem. By the end of the week you'll be in control, also toning, bleaching and probably 2 bath lith processing as well, if we get to that.
    I think I am right in recalling that the photographer whose image appears on the cover of my newest book had never made a lith print before that one. She made it at the same workshop you are coming to at The Formulary.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin