Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,238   Online: 893

Shooter
    8x10 Format

NEW Collodion Workshops with Will Dunniway

Greetings ~ Will Dunniway here. I am new to the APUG Forum, but not to the art of wet plate collodion. I have been practicing in this craft since 1990 and just recently have begun to teach this skill in wet plate collodion workshops across the country. The workshops in Corona are for 2 days and the New York and Montana workshops, 4 days. I know there a lot of teachers these days, but thought maybe some of you might be interested in what I have to teach given almost 18 years in the field working with this wet plate collodion process. For inquiries email me at: silverandsun@mac.com, or go to my web site. http://www.collodion-artist.com for more information.
    On my web page, the workshop schedule is being revised. The following is the latest. Thanks, and just maybe I will be hearing from a few of you>>>Will

The basic course description:

Students will learn the making of ambrotypes (glass direct positives) and tintypes. (Ferrotypes, tin plate direct positives) Students are guided through the process step-by-step from the mixing, pouring, exposing and development of plates poured with wet collodion. The newest edition now is 4 color of the manual, Making the Wet Collodion Plate in 16 Steps manual by Will Dunniway is included along with all materials in the course fee. Students will use a period 1860 field camera with 1860-70 lenses. Workshop features 2 days of intensive hands-on training in the making of ambrotypes, ferrotypes (tintypes), and glass plate negatives. Each student will make and take home a self-portrait/still life tintype/ambrotypes. All materials and equipment provided.

The 4 day workshops include a day shooting with a Brownie type box camera that you keep. Intensifying glass negatives and printing from these negatives with salt paper.

SPRING Wet Plate collodion Workshop
    April 14-15, Corona, California
    write: silverandsun@mac.com

Photographer Formulary Workshop on Collodion Photography
    July 22-27 Condon, Montana
    (See: http://www.photoformulary.com/ to register)

Historic Eastfield Village, N.Y. Wet Plate Collodion Workshop
    August 13-16 Nassau, New York (near Albany, NY)
    with Claude Levet assisting. (Tentative, see http://www.greatamericancraftsmen.or...ps/classes.htm to register)

FALL Wet Plate Collodion Workshop
    October 6-7, Corona, California
    write: silverandsun@mac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Will,
    Good timing as I was trying to find your website the other day by googling..
    (no luck)
    Saw some of your work at the Riverside courthouse gallery last year too.

I'm just north of you in Riverside and was interested in getting together.
    Thanks for posting
    Matt
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had tentatively signed up but had to cancel.
    I believe there is one spot left for someone lucky enough.
    I do know Will is one of the foremost Wet Plate Colloidion guys around.

I haven't met him but did speak at length about this workshop, and was disappointed I can't go.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    8x10 Format

'NEW Collodion Workshops with Will Dunniway'

Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    I had tentatively signed up but had to cancel.
    I believe there is one spot left for someone lucky enough.
    I do know Will is one of the foremost Wet Plate Colloidion guys around.

I haven't met him but did speak at length about this workshop, and was disappointed I can't go.

Thanks Matt. You are right. I still have one place left. >>>Will

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I know will and took his workshop. Best thing I ever did in furthering my photography career.

The manual/book that Will gives to students is alone worth the price of admission. Mine looks like it's been to hell and back, it's stained brown from silver nitrate, collodion and various other chemicals.

I stumbled across tintypes a year ago when I saw Robb Kendrick's cowboy portraits in National Geographic Magazine. I contacted Robb, asked if he would teach me how to make tintypes, and he did something better, told me to take Will's workshop in Corona, because that's what he did in part when he was starting. Will has been doing tintpes for almost two decades and knows all the ins and outs. If there's a master at collodion, Will is definitely one of them.

The best part is that its more than a weekend workshop - he'll help you along even long after the workshop, if you encounter any sort of trouble or have additional questions.

Anyway, its really worth a look, this workshop.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin