Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,296   Online: 923

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Carbon Workshop in Pennsylvania

Let me first note that the carbon workshop that was scheduled to run in June at the Formulary in Montana has been cancelled. The number of participants involved did not justify my travel expenses and committment of time, plus I have other summer plans that would have been difficult to coordinate with the trip to Montana in June.

Would like to mention that Michael Smith and I have discussed the possiiblity of me running carbon workshops at his place in Pennsylvania when the new facilities are finished. We just touched base again on this and I am thinking of offering a carbon workshop there next spring. In the past I have had many inquiries from people on the east coat who would like to do a carbon workshop somewhere in the area and hopefully this location, which is within easy driving distance of several large cities on the east coat, might appeal to some of you. If so, please contact me by pm and let me know of your interest.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy, You should contact Andy Schmidt at the Peters Valley workshops in NW New Jersey. I have a feeling he would like to host a carbon printing class. It's closer for the NY crowd to get to and there's no river to ford.

Jim Rhoades

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy, I have wanted to try Carbon printing ever since seeing some of your prints on various websites. I've ordered the B&S tissue so I can experiment with the process without having to make my own tissue. Maybe by next Spring I'll be ready for that next step. Btw, congratulations on joining the Contact Printers Guild - they are certainly developing into a who's who of contact printers.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Sandy, You should contact Andy Schmidt at the Peters Valley workshops in NW New Jersey. I have a feeling he would like to host a carbon printing class. It's closer for the NY crowd to get to and there's no river to ford.

Jim Rhoades
    Hi Jim,

I have left a message with Andy Schmidt, will wait to see if he gets back to me. My understanding of the accomodations there is that they are somewhat "primitive"? Someone off-list suggested, think army barracks, and that is luxurious compared to the Peters Valley Workshops.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Sandy, I have wanted to try Carbon printing ever since seeing some of your prints on various websites. I've ordered the B&S tissue so I can experiment with the process without having to make my own tissue. Maybe by next Spring I'll be ready for that next step. Btw, congratulations on joining the Contact Printers Guild - they are certainly developing into a who's who of contact printers.
    I recommend the B&S tissue for anyone wanting to experiment with carbon. When you learn the process you will most likely want to make your own, since this will vastly expand the way to express your vision.

And thanks for the comment about the CPG. I will be increasing the size of my gallery there very soon. I originally thought of offering prints in palladium and kallitype, at a lower price since these processes are so much easier than carbon, but since carbon printing is what I really love, and is truly unique, I decided to concentrate just on it.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Carbon Workshop in Pennsylvania

Sandy,

Point taken on Peters Valley accommodations, although there are a lot of options for camping or hotels in the area. Facilities for the workshop are excellent, though. Might still be worth it!

In any event, at Michael and Paula's, Peters Valley, or some other venue... please keep us informed. I would be willing to make considerable efforts to attend such a workshop...this Carbon printing thing is getting REALLY interesting!

BTW, congrats on Part 1 of your series in SilverShotz...a super portfolio!

Best regards,

-SPD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin