Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,017   Online: 870

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Demand for Pt/Pd workshops in London?

I'm toying with the idea of hosting some Pt/Pd printing workshops for beginners in the later part of this year (or early 2008). But I'm not sure whether there's sufficient demand in the UK for such a thing. At the moment I'm thinking of a weekend, starting with negatives and paper coating on Saturday and printing on Sunday. I think participation would need to be limited to 2 or 3 people in order to have as much "hands on" time as possible. Materials would be included.

Is this something anyone would be interested in? If so could you let me know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would be interested; its not something I would try without going to a workshop I dont think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many practitioners of the Pt/Pd tradition are there in the UK?

It may be that the potential market for such a workshop needs the stimulation of seeing more Pt/Pd work. More work on display translates into greater interest in the process which means more potential students for a workshop.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian
    I presume you already practice Pt/Pd. Which system do you use, where would it be held and what facilities would there be. Oh and how much?
    Alex

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I donít know how many, but Iím not aware of any other than myself. I would love there to be more, so thatís sort of where Iím coming from really. Pt/Pd has got a reputation of being difficult and costly which, I think, puts a lot of people off. And until youíve seen real platinum prints you donít know what youíre missing.

Sufficient people in Europe have contacted me about experimenting with pt/pd that workshops seem like they may be worth investigating. But I donít want to do a whole lot of educational design and planning before Iíve got a better feel for the number of people who may be interested. Hence this postÖ

Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    How many practitioners of the Pt/Pd tradition are there in the UK?

It may be that the potential market for such a workshop needs the stimulation of seeing more Pt/Pd work. More work on display translates into greater interest in the process which means more potential students for a workshop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, for several years now. When I started pt/pd printing I spent a lot of time and money going round in circles. I read everything, bought everything recommended by everyone, and experimented a whole lot. I wish I'd had a way of jump starting myself and getting to the point where I could make consistently satisfactory prints sooner.

I'm not sure it should matter terrifically to a beginner which system is used so long as itís understandable and consistent. Experimenting with one system or another is more of an advanced topic in my opinion. (Though for the record I happen to use the B&S ďA+BĒ kits with Potassium Oxalate.)

I expect Iíd use my studio and darkroom in central London: partly because itís easy to get to, and partly because I wouldnít want to cart around chemicals, my UV light box, etc. Iím sure you understand that at the moment itís too early to decide on specifics like dates and pricing - Iím at a very early stage of thinking right now.

All the best, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by alexphoto View Post
    Hi Ian
    I presume you already practice Pt/Pd. Which system do you use, where would it be held and what facilities would there be. Oh and how much?
    Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Ian

I would definately be interested, my next process to try is platinum and I need some initial help to get started so the workshop sounds a great idea, also its on 45mins to get to London from me which is also a plus.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

I live in Yorkshire but would certainly travel to attend a workshop. I have produced some Kallitype and Palladium prints but would value a workshop if only to act as a reference point. I hope you receive enough interest to launch this project.

Steve Chambers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian

keep me posted as I too would be interested

be well

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Ian

I would also be very much interested and wouldn't hesitate to book a place on such a course.

I hope good things come from this thread.

Regards

Stoo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin