Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,413   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Taken classes or workshops in the past year?

I'm curious as to how many people are continung their photographic education by taking classes or workshops?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I attended a workshop in May, it was a great experience, well worth the time and money. It was the first in-depth photography workshop I've attended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bdial, that's great, what was the subject? Would you recommend the workshop/instructor? Was it at a photo destination?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do constantly look at new ways of doing things to achieve the kind of look I'm after. Don't tend to attend workshops but do often swap ideas with photographers who I respect and whose work I enjoy.

A couple of months ago hosted Bruce Barnbaum and he kindly passed on a few tech tips he has developed. (There wasn't much that I could show him ).

That might not be the kind of reply you were after Brian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was the FineFocus photographic retreat, put on by Ted Harris, Bruce Barlow and Richard Ritter, all of whom post here from time to time. The theme was step out of your normal routine and take pictures, the location was Vermont and Southwestern New Hampshire.
    I'm not sure if that qualifies as a "photo destination" there are grand vistas like in the west, but there are plenty of good subject locations hereabouts. A big plus for me was that it was local, but everyone else was from outside the region.
    Yes, I recommend the workshop, and instructors, here's a link to the workshop http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/photo.html?x=123&y=11

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only attended one workshop, that was the Les Mclean split grade printing workshop hosted by Lee C. in Ft. Worth/Dallas area (I was in the neighborhood).
    That workshop was first class all the way around. I can't speak of others but my experience their was well worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was very fortunate to attend a Toning Workshop in Atlanta taught by ann! It was great!

I like to plan at least 1/year... though there have been a few years when I've been to more than one.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I retired in 2003 and have been enjoying college photography courses continuously to date, starting with 35mm and working up in stages to 7x17. Connections made there have led to Friends of Photography with the Cleveland Museum of Art with trips to other museum in OH, PA, and MI. Besides the enjoyed experiences, this has led to being juried into local and regional shows.

Ohio has a wonderful senior education benefit that is poorly publicized and frequently unknown. Anyone 60 or over can fill available class seats at state funded universities for the cost of lab fees and parking. Kent State takes it a step further and reduces the entry age to 55. I take a $1000 advanced photography course for $40 lab fee plus $110 parking. The only down side is that the state forces us to declare the $1000 as taxable income. These are audited courses, but I have to produce a series of twenty mounted prints at the end of the term and submit prints to weekly critiques just as the students who are taking this for credit. We learn from each other.

Ohio is not known as a state on the fore front of educational spending. My wife teaches here. I would encourage others to see if such benefits exist where you live.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like there are some great workshops being done by APUGers and attended by APUGers. Les is known for his split grade techniques, maybe I'll attend one of his workshops some time. Or maybe arrange (negotiate, ask, beg) for him to have one at my darkroom??? (how big a darkroom and how many enlargers does he need?)

As for me my last class was at ICP last Autumn on mural size printing. I learned that while it's doable using RC paper and can be done with minimal equipment expense, it's extremely tough to do with fiber paper because of it's tendancy to kink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I retired in 2003 and have been enjoying college photography courses continuously to date, starting with 35mm and working up in stages to 7x17. Connections made there have led to Friends of Photography with the Cleveland Museum of Art with trips to other museum in OH, PA, and MI. Besides the enjoyed experiences, this has led to being juried into local and regional shows.

Ohio has a wonderful senior education benefit that is poorly publicized and frequently unknown. Anyone 60 or over can fill available class seats at state funded universities for the cost of lab fees and parking. Kent State takes it a step further and reduces the entry age to 55. I take a $1000 advanced photography course for $40 lab fee plus $110 parking. The only down side is that the state forces us to declare the $1000 as taxable income. These are audited courses, but I have to produce a series of twenty mounted prints at the end of the term and submit prints to weekly critiques just as the students who are taking this for credit. We learn from each other.

Ohio is not known as a state on the fore front of educational spending. My wife teaches here. I would encourage others to see if such benefits exist where you live.

John Powers
    John that sounds like a great deal, except the tax part (there's always a tax somewhere). The weekly critiques are they like APUG, easier, harder?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin