Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,574   Posts: 1,545,701   Online: 787

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Alt process Workshop, Hayward, CA -- includes carbon printing

I will be an instructor at the Alt Process Workshop given by PhotoCentral in Hayward, CA on June 21 and 22 (Sat&Sun), 2008.

The workshop will cover several alt processes...exactly which ones is still be decided, but I will be teaching carbon printing. Other processes may be van Dyke, cyanotype and inkjet over platinum. When I find out the exact processes that will be covered I will update this annoucement.

Obviously covering several processes in a single weekend will not leave time to cover any of them in great depth, but our goal is for everyone to leave the workshop with a good understanding of the processes, as well as a print that they have made in each of the processes.

I will be supplying the participants with carbon tissue I will make prior to the workshop. The workshop is from 10am to 5pm each day, but I plan to be available Saturday evening for those who wish to fine-tune the carbon print they made earlier, perhaps make a print from a different image, and cover the process in a little more detail.

Additional info:

http://www.photocentral.org/classes.html#Workshops

Vaughn Hutchins
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vaughn,
    I probably will not be attending but it's great to know that such a great resource is just a half hour away. I did not know this place existed until just now, thanks.

Terry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Terry,

Geir and Kate Jordahl who started up Photocentral twenty years ago are both great photographers, incredible instructors, and general all-around wonderful people. Check out the auction they are having as a fund-raiser! Some great photographs for a good cause!

They just remodeled their darkrooms that they use for classes, workshops and for use by the public.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vaughn, count me in! I'm going to mark the calendar right now! I think my youngest will be home from college before then. Yep, just checked and his move out is the week before.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The faculty and processes covered in the PhotoCentral Alternative processes Workshop have been finalized.

June 21 & 22, 2008 at PhotoCentral, Hayward, CA.

Celac Colvert will be teaching van Dyke Brown printing. Celac works for Keeble and Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto, CA, a photo supply store and firm supporter of analog photography in the SF Bay Area.

Kate Jordalh will be covering cyanotype and toning cyanotypes. As mentioned ove, Kate and her husband Geir founded PhotoCentral 20 years ago. Kate is also the dean of Art at Foothill College. She also was the editor of Geir's latest book, Searching for True North -- an amazing book of images.

And I will be teaching Carbon Printing. I am looking forward to a fun but information-packed and busy time. This is a hands-on workshop!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Vaugn, I was sooo bummed to just learn I missed your carbon printing workshop through Ansel Adams Gallery. Do you have another workshop coming up that is focused just on this process?

Axel,
    LeicaGlow.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Axel,

Sorry you missed the Yosemite workshop -- we had a great time and really got into the process. The place was not too bad either!

We are planning a week-end carbon workshop in Newport, Oregon on the second week-end of November 2009. Things are still in the planning stages, as we are just getting a photo workshop program off the ground at the Newport Visual Art Center (the VAC -- located on the beach). The VAC has an unused darkroom and several of us (with APUGGER Denise...of emulsion-making fame...as our on-the-spot leader) are taking the opportunity to offer workshops in the facilities.

The carbon printing workshop will offer an introduction to the process, with an opportunity to make a couple prints. Unfortunately, the carbon tissue takes a couple days to dry, so I will be making the tissue myself before the workshop for the participants to print with during the workshop.. The 5-day workshop in Yosemite gave us enough time for the participants to make their own tissue. In Newport, I will cover all that, and the participants will make some carbon tissue, but will not be able to print with it during the workshop.

The goal of the workshop is to have the participants go home with a couple carbon prints they have made -- if not "keepers", at least good examples of the process -- and a working knowledge of the process so that they can continue farther with the process if they so desire.

When things get finalized with the Newport photo workshop program, we'll be making announcements on this forum.

Vaughn

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Excellent news, Vaughn!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don12x20 View Post
    Excellent news, Vaughn!
    Don, if you get a chance to take this workshop from Vaughn, do not miss it. That goes for anyone who is serious about carbon printing. Do some research and if you go with an understanding of the process your learning curve will not be as steep. Vaughn is an excellent teacher and photographer and mentored me in this process. Now I'm hooked and it's all I can think of when it comes to printing. Have fun.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin