Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,514,992   Online: 1203

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Tonoopah Nevada Group is "by invitation". Jim's at work, remote, with no access to the actual list until Friday. Per hasn't responded with the attendees names... I've "invited" all those that said they were going to attend -- now including Slumry and Outwest. Others? (For paid attendees...if you contact me before Friday I will add you; else wait until Jim gets back to Tonopah on Friday and you'll find yourself added. Trojan horses?...you'll be invited but removed on Friday...)

No one staying at "the clown motel"??? Seems like a place to go down to visit and make a few images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/clown-motel-tonopah

Jim didn't mention that one but it looks interesting, whatever interesting means. I love reading the reviews.
    Who was that who said, "As a clown you can get away with anything."?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To all: Still frustrated with no internet service in Tonopah. I can cheat and catch up a little here at work but nothing in town. Perhaps I'll get that resolved next week end. It will mean switching companies and getting a new e-mail address. Bummer that!

It's chilly and windy here which means nothing. I'm still holding out for fine weather in 3 weeks. This weekend I did investigate some indoor opportunities if we need them.

In Goldfield Nevada there is a beautiful Victorian 3 story plus basement school house that is quite literally in a fight for it's very life. The Southmost wall has deteriorated and partially been lost. They have a mere $12000 to spend to try to get it to make it through the winter this year. If the Goldfield Historical Society can accomplish that they may be able to get a couple of $60,000 grants next year for further stabilization. We will have access to that building if we want it. Good photography in front of the right $$ people can sometimes make a huge impact for preservation. Across the street from the school is the Goldfield Courthouse. I've posted pics of the interior of that building on my site in the past. We also have permission for 6 or 8 photographers to work inside there at the same time. Just thinking ahead if it's nasty out doors. (windy!) Both of these buildings provide terrific views of our countries past greatness imho. Both very worthy of very unique photographs in 2009.

I did some snaps of the school interior with the Nikon. Sean wouldn't want those posted here and I understand that, but just to show what kind of opportunity this building has I may post a few at my web pages later today. I'll put up a link here.

DONE: Here is a link for some snaps of the Goldfield Schoolhouse.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Go...ool_House.html
    Last edited by jimgalli; 10-13-2009 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: link added
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jim the school looks great, worthy of some shots even if weather is good outside.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    In Goldfield Nevada there is a beautiful Victorian 3 story plus basement school house that is quite literally in a fight for it's very life. The Southmost wall has deteriorated and partially been lost. They have a mere $12000 to spend to try to get it to make it through the winter this year.
    Well hell's bells. 12K will buy enough FEMA tarps and duct tape to get anything through a Nevada winter.

tim (still pissed for not being able to camp out in Tonopah) in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jim/Per,

Where/When are we all meeting?

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Jim/Per,

Where/When are we all meeting?
    Monday AM about 9:00 ish in the lot next to the High Desert Best Western Motel. I'll be the guy in the black Model A roadster thingy with no brakes.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Monday AM about 9:00 ish in the lot next to the High Desert Best Western Motel. I'll be the guy in the black Model A roadster thingy with no brakes.
    I'll be the guy with a ponytail hiding behind the telephone pole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be the fellow with the shakey 5x7 camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be the guy in Aachen Germany drowning my sorrows, knowing his Deardorff will be safely sitting in the house in SJ...

Y'all have a great time.

tim not in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin