Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,659   Online: 841

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First Annual Spring Workshop in Virginia

The much anticipated workshop in the Blue Ridge is now a go. Mark your calenders for May 15th through May 17th, at Swannanoa on top of the Blue Ridge Parkway at Afton. We also have available dates for those who need or want to come earlier for the 13th and 14th. Swannanoa is reserved for the days of Wednsday, Thursday and Friday, the 13th, 14th, and 15th. We will not have access on Saturday and Sunday, however we have planned activities for those who are interested in darkroom work as well as other photo opportunities in the area. The Inn at Afton has rooms for those who are planning on staying through the week or weekend and we also have a confrence room booked for Friday the 15th in the A.M. to get togather and talk about the shoot. I'm hoping to have time for a Lith session in my darkroom on Saturday for those who are interested. The general plan is to get an idea of the various talents that folks are bringing and hope to share with otheres. There arn't going to be any "official" instructors but anyone with something to share is encouraged to do so. Just bring your enthusiasm and let us know your area of interest. We are paying a small fee for the exclusive use of Swannanoa and are asking a small donation of $50.00 for those who can afford to do so. More details will follow, and if you have any questions feel free to email me at side_c@yahoo.com. A good time will be had by all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like fun, I'll mark the days on my calendar! Please keep us posted.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Richard, thanks for making the arrangements. I'll just point out to anyone who doesn't know already: arranging anything at Swannanoa is not easy!

I'll just post a pair of quick exploratory images from Swannanoa- my first two shots with a shen 4x10 and a lens that didn't have enough circle to do what I wanted Anyway maybe these'll give some ideas....

The place offers very nice classic marble architecture, a number of interesting locations to experiment with lighting (natural and artificial) and perhaps some good spots for model shots etc. Very nearby are some lovely vineyards as well, and of course a number of excellent locations are a short distance along skyline drive and the blue ridge pkwy.

See you in May!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll be there for sure. (I hope Jared too)
    Thank you so much for doing this and I'm looking forward to meeting.
    Best,
    TOm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I won't be able to make it to Swananoa, but I should be there on the 16th/17th.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like Jared, my 12 year old son, can indeed join us. I'm so excited. I'll make our resv. next wed when SSD check is in.
    Thanks so much for doing this. We will be there early on the 15th coming home on the 17th. Driving from Central NJ.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like I'm good for those dates. I may come down a day or two early. What time would the conference be? Will it be shooting at Swannanoa in the afternoon? Who do we see or hook up with to get in for shooting on Thursday? Does anyone want to bring prints to show what we are doing? Anyone interested in trying a L/F camera or a type L/F that they may not be familiar with? I have extras. Workshops call it date a camera.

One last question to make this flow of ideas a bit easier. How about we all hook up with RPippin on private e-mail and reply all to save space here and get on the same page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, prints, bring prints! I have been discussing with Richard the possibility of us having a booth on the downtown mall on Friday or so. That'd be great if folks would like to show (and maybe sell!) some prints. Apart from that, we will definitely have some casual evening time for looking at prints, showing off gear, and talking shop. I will have my cameras on hand (everything 35mm to 8x10") and there are some ULFers in the area too, so I am sure that we'll have a lot of gear to play with. I'd be happy to assist anyone wanting to start with LF... from shooting through develolpment and contact printing.

I'll try to arrange for c41 and E6 and rollfilm b&w materials to be quickly developed as a service to our workgroup; we can do b&w sheets ourselves in one of our darkrooms.

About arranging this, let's keep this thread alive by bumping it from time to time with new details as they emerge.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Looks like I'm good for those dates. I may come down a day or two early. What time would the conference be? Will it be shooting at Swannanoa in the afternoon? Who do we see or hook up with to get in for shooting on Thursday? Does anyone want to bring prints to show what we are doing? Anyone interested in trying a L/F camera or a type L/F that they may not be familiar with? I have extras. Workshops call it date a camera.
    I too plan on arriving on Wed/Thur to photograph, so I have the same questions.

I plan on bringing prints and a couple Ritter Cameras (8x10 & 7x17).

Thanks!
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Let us get back to you with specifics over the coming weeks, but personally: I plan to be photographing at Swannanoa from dawn through night on the days that we have access there. Others are welcome to join, and we can consolidate transport from Charlottesville. We'll also ave other shooting nearby venues and people may divide up into subgroups and then unite in the evenings for show and tell.

John, LF is heartily welcome and it'd be great if folks would be willing to give brief tutorials on different gear types and metering and lighting etc.

We'll have darkroom space for loading and developing and printing and such.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin