Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,900   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Carbon Printing Workshop...Nov 13-15, Newport, OR...Vaughn Hutchins

I will be giving a hands-on weekend workshop on Carbon Printing November 13 - 15, 2009 in Newport, Oregon. The cost is $250.

We will start at 4pm on Friday (11/13) with a demo on the entire process to give the 6 participants a general understanding of the process. The participants will spend all day Saturday and Sunday making carbon prints using carbon tissue I will make prior to the workshop.

Carbon printing is a contact-printing process, camera negatives and/or enlarged digital negatives (up to 8x10) can be used in the workshop.

The goal will be to give the participants the knowledge and experience to return home and make this incredible process their own.

Please pm or email me for more information and a brochure. This workshop is part of a series of workshops given by the Newport Photography Workshops, based at the Newport Visual Arts Center...a beautiful facility on the beach in Newport.

vgh7001@humboldt.edu

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you are up in this area I highly recommend taking one of Vaughn's workshops. Vaughn is my friend and mentor. A great person wonderful teacher and amazing carbon printer. I took a workshop a while ago from Vaughn and in a short time produced an award winning print following his procedures. Don't miss out on learning from one of the best.

As a testament to Vaughn's teaching and inspirational abilities I hope to give a workshop in Southern California sometime in February.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 08-16-2009 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to go but I'm going to be in Tonopah until the 12th leaving little or no time to get to Newport.

I'm committed to Tonopah so I'll have to wait for another workshop in Carbon Transfer Printing.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Curt, I will be giving a longer and much more in depth workshop in Yosemite in mid-April 2010 at the Ansel Adams Gallery (using AA's old darkroom behind the gallery). The AA Gallery is still working on their workshop schedule for 2010, so nothing on their website yet.

And there is a possibility of a workshop in Portland, but date, location, and other details have yet to be fleshed out.

Have a great time in Tonopah -- I would love to be out there, too!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Vaughn, Portland would be a snap for me, what will you be doing for the Vancouver alt.processes?http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...4&d=1246816995
    I would love to see some prints in person, the last time I saw a Carbon print was in a museum.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I will be demonstrating the whole carbon printing process, from making the tissue, sensitizing, exposure, and developing the print. Or at least I will be demonstrating how I make prints -- every practitioner personalizes their process to fit their materials, working space, and what they want the final print to look like. While the audience will not be physically doing any of the steps themselves, a daring observer might be able to get enough info from the demo to attempt the process at home. After all, I taught myself the process from a magazine article in 1992, without ever seeing an actual carbon print until I made my own. Finally saw someone else's carbons in 2003 (Sandy King's at APIS).

But I will have a bunch of my prints with me at the APUG Alt Process Gathering. My demo will be only 2.5 hours of a exciting week-end of demos and talks.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will be demonstrating the whole carbon printing process, from making the tissue, sensitizing, exposure, and developing the print. Or at least I will be demonstrating how I make prints -- every practitioner personalizes their process to fit their materials, working space, and what they want the final print to look like. While the audience will not be physically doing any of the steps themselves, a daring observer might be able to get enough info from the demo to attempt the process at home. After all, I taught myself the process from a magazine article in 1992, without ever seeing an actual carbon print until I made my own. Finally saw someone else's carbons in 2003 (Sandy King's at APIS).

But I will have a bunch of my prints with me at the APUG Alt Process Gathering. My demo will be only 2.5 hours of a exciting week-end of demos and talks.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Curt, I will be giving a longer and much more in depth workshop in Yosemite in mid-April 2010 at the Ansel Adams Gallery (using AA's old darkroom behind the gallery). The AA Gallery is still working on their workshop schedule for 2010, so nothing on their website yet.

And there is a possibility of a workshop in Portland, but date, location, and other details have yet to be fleshed out.

Have a great time in Tonopah -- I would love to be out there, too!

Vaughn
    Vaughn,I have seen Jims prints up close and "live" and was very impressed . Have you set prices yet. In Yosemite.

Mike C

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mike, The AA Gallery sets the prices. My carbon workshop there last year was $800. It is a five-day workshop. The 5 days allows the participants to make their own tissue, then print with it. Because the tissue takes a couple days to dry, this is an opportunity that one does not have with week-end workshops. Until the tissue dries, the participants will make carbon prints using tissue I will have made prior to the workshop.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn,thats a little much for me right know, but I do get up to Oregon once or twice a year so would be nice to attend something less expensive. I will keep watching posts here for future classes. Thanks.

Mike C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin