Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,581   Online: 1156

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole - this is great, and I also can't wait to see their photos. And yes, you are coooooooooool!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Nicole. Well done, and I look forward to seeing the photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looking forward to seeing the kids' works! Its a great thing you are doing, Nicole.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The open night at the school was a huge success. The room was overflowing with viewers impressed by the student exhibition, a total of 22 matted 6x9" photographs. The students matted their own prints. We had over 250 votes for the People's Choice Award and I presented a Student Award. The prizes were fantastic - a high resolution Sony digital photo frame and a Nikon point & shoot camera. I've attached a snapshot of their work here for you. The exhibition will remain at the school until 11th Nov 09 and then travel to local libraries.

During the workshop, the students were given strict guidelines to only shoot 4 frames covering various genres, such as landscape, environmental portrait, abstract, self portrait, movement, etc... A total of only 27 frames over 9 weeks. They did extremely well, with just a plastic throwaway camera - and film!
    Last edited by Nicole; 11-06-2009 at 07:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Spectacularly good results they got! Interesting that your prizes are digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Polyglot, I knew that would come up (fast). My choice of prizes are not open for debate (here on apug). It was a thoughtful, conscious choice though. Until students success rate improves digi is a good practice run. Save the art for when they are serious about creating something unique and Mum & Dad don't mind investing in their craft.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Very nice work. Not that you were accepting criticism on your choice, but I think the prize was a fine one with good thought. Congratulations on the outcome.
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh I don't disagree with your choice of prizes at all and am sure the winners will get great value from them; I am largely a digital photographer myself. I just found the juxtaposition of the prizes with the process used to win the prizes interesting.

Kudos for not only introducing the kids to photography, but getting them to the point where they've produced work of such quality. Not a trivial task.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Chris and Plyglot. No offence taken at all. Better not say much since I just got back from a fantastic 40th birthday bash! Have a great night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Home run, Nicole! Great job on the whole project!

I would LOVE to see these prints as more than thumbnails. Is there any chance that we can see them as individual scans or digisnapped?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin