Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 966

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David, you make the point that there are already a number places where people can be introduced to various gear and processes. If we simply catalogue who can do what and where, it may turn out that all the basic tools are within short travel distance of almost any apug member. If that's true then it's "just" an issue of organizing the groups and agreeing roughly on what will be presented and how much it'll cost.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe a sticky calendar at the top of this forum? like a google calendar that gets updated with events and locations? currently you have to search through the various threads to see what's available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A lot of community colleges have begining classes of film with darkroom. Our continuing ecucation at work :<)

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like a great idea and best of luck from someone just too far away to be able to take advantage of it. If you kept pulling on the under the ocean telephone cable from the U.K. to the U.S.( does it still exist?) is there any chance you could shorten the gap to within rowing boat distance? :

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps we couldget you a lens long enough for your pentax that you could just watch from home.

LOL

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    I think its a good idea. I've taken large format and wet plate workshops in Phila, at Project Basho. But, the idea of developing a network with other photographers working in all these varied mediums is very intriguing. And a chance to try new mediums in other than a specific workshop would be good. I want to try them all! And I think you can ever place a value on the people and the ideas you would be exposed to in such a setting.

Anne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    David, you make the point that there are already a number places where people can be introduced to various gear and processes. If we simply catalogue who can do what and where, it may turn out that all the basic tools are within short travel distance of almost any apug member. If that's true then it's "just" an issue of organizing the groups and agreeing roughly on what will be presented and how much it'll cost.
    Keith, don't back off on your idea yet.

I came up with my idea because of interest in film on the Texas Photo Forum at the time. However, most of the talk was about how you couldn't get film, much less paper, chemicals, darkroom stuff, etc. I just wanted to set that record straight. (There is actually a darkroom forum on TPF now, so we got that settled.) However, there seemed to be a market for people who were "really into" photography but had no idea that you could still do analog. I thought a one-day social/demo event might be educational.

I think the same concept for 35mm users who just want to be exposed to large format is also viable, and they did sort of that thing in Houston. More power to you!
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totalamateur View Post
    Maybe a sticky calendar at the top of this forum? like a google calendar that gets updated with events and locations? currently you have to search through the various threads to see what's available.
    I don't think it would be hard to add a calendar, and it probably is something that comes with the software that's been edited out of APUG, just because we haven't needed it, but it is generally the case on APUG and on other discussion boards that content areas that aren't part of the forum aren't terribly well used, so it is probably good that we aren't using whatever default calendar scheme comes with vBulletin.

It would be interesting to have a sticky thread with just a list of workshops organized by date at the top of the forum and maybe a similar thread for gallery shows in the relevant forum, but they would have to be maintained by someone with moderator level authority for each respective thread. I know Sean can give someone moderator control over a forum, not sure about a thread, and we'd have to find a volunteer to keep the list up to date.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

abr

Shooter
    Holga
    As a newbie to most of it, I'd love a workshop like this. I am pretty much on the opposite side of the country, so the hitch would be getting there and funding such a trip, but I would definitely be interested, esp. if something happened out here in the PNW!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Keith, I'm sure you saw a couple of my Pt/Pd prints last year at the Afton Mt. gig. I would be willing to do a Pt/Pd coating/printing demo. I could also bring some 'Dorff or Linhof stuff.

I had hoped that you would ride north to see my setup as Pippin's hack monkey. Fear is good for the heart.

Jim Rhoades

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin