Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,764   Online: 961

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Five days away...
    Supposed to be about 20-28 people so far.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After being rained out of Death Valley a couple of weeks ago, I went through there and camped one night at White Tank. Yes, it was raining.

I suppose there will be a floral display.

Just having returned from a five week 7000 mile trip, I guess I won't be heading back down there. Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately guys,

I'm going to have to bow out on this one . A friend who's in the military is back from overseas on a short leave period, and there's a S.B. party where he and I can meet to catch up.

sorry, I was really looking forward to this! Next year hopefully!

blessings

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the day before the get together and wind is blowing like crazy here in the high desert. temperature dropping. Looks like JT will be fun again!
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hope you all have a great time.
    I first went to JT in the mid 70's-it was so empty then! I liked taking the back way-Dillon Road through Berdoo Canyon. I get out there from time to time. I was arranging things so I could go out and meet some of you folks and spend a day or so, buuuuut.... last Friday my little dog was almost carried off by a coyote and was badly injured, so I'm home looking after her. She'll be alright, but I almost found myself in the middle of a physical battle with the coyote before it decided to give up.

Have a great time. You all know the magic of Joshua Tree. A little weather is bound to make your pictures better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Hope you all have a great time.
    I first went to JT in the mid 70's-it was so empty then! I liked taking the back way-Dillon Road through Berdoo Canyon.
    We should do that when I be back to Los Angeles again. That is an interesting way to get into the park.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    We should do that when I be back to Los Angeles again. That is an interesting way to get into the park.

Steve
    I should clarify-Dillon Road to Berdoo Canyon Rd, through Berdoo Canyon into the park. I have no idea what shape it's in now. It's a jeep trail at best once the pavement ends, which is before the canyon itself. I think it runs into Geology Tour Road, but not sure anymore.
    Last edited by lxdude; 02-05-2010 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I should clarify-Dillon Road to Berdoo Canyon Rd, through Berdoo Canyon into the park. I have no idea what shape it's in now. It's a jeep trail at best once the pavement ends, which is before the canyon itself. I think it runs into Geology Tour Road, but not sure anymore.
    That is the road I meant.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [Stroking gray beard, faraway look, reminiscing]

Way back when it was still a National Monument, and I was young and constantly broke, I'd use Berdoo Canyon to sneak in and avoid the fee (I think $5, maybe less). They didn't really check anyone once they were already there. Gas was about 50 cents a gallon, and 5 bucks would fill the tank in my 1.1 liter Subaru ff-1, which gave me a true 50 MPG on the highway at 60 MPH. I could get to Indio, fart around the monument and get back home for 3 bucks or a little more. That little car, with its front wheel drive and limited slip differential, could go just about anywhere a jeep could.
    Besides, it was more fun than just driving in the front way. It was a great way to vet a prospective girlfriend. When she thought it was exciting instead of scary to be climbing up that canyon at midnight under a full moon, enjoying the creepy shadows on the canyon walls, I knew she was my type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is the road I meant.

Steve
    It could be pretty rough after rains. Which was part of the fun. Somebody, I guess the county, would run through there with a dozer once in a while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin