Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 787

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Soulful Black & White Portrait Photography Workshops with Nicole Boenig McGrade

2010 Soulful Fine Art Black & White Portraiture Photography Workshops with Nicole Boenig McGrade.

Perth | Sydney | Melbourne | Brisbane | Cairns
    35mm | 120 roll film | digital | professionals | keen amateurs

Join Nicole for a full day of interactive, hands-on workshop to explore the art of natural light portraiture and how to create emotive, soulful portraits.

* Wed, 2 June 2010 - Melbourne (Bookings Close 7 May)
    * Fri, 9 July 2010 - Brisbane (Bookings Close 9 June)
    * Fri, 16 July 2010 - Cairns (Bookings Close 9 June)
    * Fri, 29 Oct 2010 - Melbourne (Bookings Close 1 Oct)

For more information please visit the website, blog or Facebook Page.

For international workshop details please contact Nicole Boenig McGrade.

Feedback / Comment from 29 Jan 2010 Sydney Workshop:
    "I just wanted to thank you for such an amazing and inspirational day! I can't remember your exact wording, but in the morning you asked us what key things in our lives had influenced our photography - I can't remember exactly what I said now either, but I know that hopefully when we meet again in the future and you ask me the same question, I will say "your workshop on the 29th of January 2010"! You inspired me in so many ways. Since your workshop I have concentrated much more on getting the perfect exposure rather than tweaking later on my computer. I am also far less concerned about the grey overcast days as like you said I should, I feel very lucky to be in London where I can shoot all through the day! So, thank you very, very much! It was extremely interesting to watch you work and I found that you balanced the theory and practice extremely well. Outside of all of this, I liked you so very much as a person - you have a beautiful strength and vulnerability about you, which is very endearing. I look forward to attending another of your courses when I am next in Australia!
    A. Fraser (London, UK)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How can one teach the "soulful" aspects of portraiture photography? It's about subject approach/relation - not about exposure or even a camera really. The power of natural light is basic photography and not tied directly to portraiture by any means. The best light in the world won't gain one intimacy in a photograph unless the right subject relation is there and this isn't easy to teach objectively. Some general points would be on respect, communication, and listening skills - making the subject(s) feel comfortable and anticipation of the moment. None of it really relates directly to photography.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think if teaching respect and communication etc. helps the student get the picture he or she wants, it's related to photography.

If I were a bit closer Nicole, I'd attend.

The picture two little girls hugging is especially touching.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    How can one teach the "soulful" aspects... Some general points would be on respect, communication, and listening skills - making the subject(s) feel comfortable and anticipation of the moment. None of it really relates directly to photography.
    I'm wondering about the motivation behind your post... ??

I'll disagree.

One may not be able to teach "soulfulness" in photography (I'd like to see proof of that), but certainly it CAN be "investigated" and there is every indication, from a study of Nicole's work, that she is qualified to lead that, or any study, into that area.

"None of `it' really relates directly ... ?? I've pondered this extensively ... ALL of this, and much much more "relates", either directly or indirectly (what is the difference in effect ?) to photography.

What leads you to assume that "respect, communication, listening skills" - or anytthing else will be left out of her workshop/s ?

If I was closer, as well, I would most assuredly attend one of these.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    How can one teach the "soulful" aspects of portraiture photography? It's about subject approach/relation - not about exposure or even a camera really. The power of natural light is basic photography and not tied directly to portraiture by any means. The best light in the world won't gain one intimacy in a photograph unless the right subject relation is there and this isn't easy to teach objectively. Some general points would be on respect, communication, and listening skills - making the subject(s) feel comfortable and anticipation of the moment. None of it really relates directly to photography.
    Sorry Clayne, I just visited your public profile, and I see you have no images posted. Unlike you, Nicole has many images posted (maybe a few too may today specifically), and she has a track record, a body of work and she is willing to put it out there. I have no time for anyone who is critical of someone else who is willing to share their knowledge (especially when so well qualified), while they themselves don't appear to even share their images on this site.

So either put up and explain why your are qualified to a) comment on the content of Nicole's course which you have no way of knowing b) provide a positive testimonial similar to the one Nicole has from someone about your contribution to teaching portraiture who has not only enjoyed the course but would like to return

Otherwise....please refrain from being so negative.

As a footnote, I know exposure, but I would still go to one of Nicole's courses just in the hope that some of her magic rubs off on me....and I actually aint that bad myself

K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Beautiful Art!

Love the photographs!

I wish I could attend. Maybe someday.

I'm always learning. It is wonderful of someone to open up heart & soul, offering to help. Education is more important for my art than equipment. For equipment I believe simple is better!

Best to Your Success Nicole with your classes. Will you offer any during our winter here in Minnesota? Gosh, that would a long flight but well worth it!
    Bill Clark

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if it can be taught, but one has to be able to do it before one can teach it, and I'll tell you, Nicole can do it. Her images and her style are wonderful. That combined with her fantastic personality (yes, I do know her), is a recipe for success. Attend if you can! Save the money, hell, borrow the money. She is great and so are her images. If you attend, maybe a little bit of her telent will rub off.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    Sorry Clayne, I just visited your public profile, and I see you have no images posted. Unlike you, Nicole has many images posted (maybe a few too may today specifically), and she has a track record, a body of work and she is willing to put it out there. I have no time for anyone who is critical of someone else who is willing to share their knowledge (especially when so well qualified), while they themselves don't appear to even share their images on this site.
    However, did you check the link in my signature?

So either put up and explain why your are qualified to a) comment on the content of Nicole's course which you have no way of knowing b) provide a positive testimonial similar to the one Nicole has from someone about your contribution to teaching portraiture who has not only enjoyed the course but would like to return

Otherwise....please refrain from being so negative.
    This is not an advertising spot - people are allowed to question some things. The only reason I even responded to this thread was due to the emphasis (atleast in the initial blurb) on exposure - and additionally a perceived direction of arranged moment portraiture, i.e. photo sessions as opposed to showing up somewhere with a camera and illiciting feeling through relation to subjects and immersion. The purpose was to point out that "soul" in photography has very little to do with the technicalities of photography itself. Basically what I'm saying is that perhaps part of the aspect of Nicole, as a photographer, is herself and approach - and not how the camera or light is used.

As a footnote, I know exposure, but I would still go to one of Nicole's courses just in the hope that some of her magic rubs off on me....and I actually aint that bad myself
    Yes, I've seen your work and it is quite good. You're also one of my flickr contacts.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nicole,

Yes, I do the same! I have even traveled a wee bit for gigs taking place in other parts of this blue planet.

Will you be offering any classes from January to April time frame? It's a little slower here in Minnesota during those months. Time for a photography class or a cruise!

Thanks! Have a great week.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Johnny, Ed, Kal, Bill and Ralph thank you!

clayne, I appreciate what you are saying, but for me, my work is all about soul and emotion. My photographic journey started pretty much with someone saying to me "women will never make good photographers, because they are too emotional". That comment left a big mark on how I work today and therefore I am grateful for his ... remark. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM or email me directly, or maybe even start a separate thread on APUG to discuss your questioning the connection.

Bill, I travel quite a bit with my photography and workshops - and go whereever there is enough interest to warrant a trip. April could work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin