Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,911   Online: 918

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think this fits nicely with the intent of the workshop http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ro...of_seeing.html
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last one was funny Mark,would not behalf as funny had I not read about the artist on the list Per gave us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While reading about Minor White I came across this essay he wrote about Equivalence http://www.jnevins.com/whitereading.htm and found it interesting,same thing that Albert Stieglitz endiverd to pursue in his work, which White adopted to his teaching.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting read Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Surfing the computer is not my way of having fun but it is informative,so many of the psychologies of art seam to be a endless branching of one thought to another ,those darn cavemen scribbling on the cave wall with charcoal really opened up a hornets nest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Old Way of Seeing: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The.../9780395740101

Back when we bought an old house, circa 1912 more or less, a former two story school house in the woods on the south end of town, we knew that even with progressive modernizations, electricity, sewer, water, foundation and the like that we would be making our mark on the structure to further it along on the planet.

I started in with the separate garage and went to work on the design of it so it matched the house as much as was going to be possible. When I had the permit and plans I set forth to reconstruct and rebuild. I spent a year on the cad drawings alone and knew that when they were in blueprint that was it, I had to build from there.

Somewhere between footings and some glulam beams I found a book that changed the way I see architecture and the way I was going to remodel. It was one of those ah ha moments. The lights when on and I realized what it was I liked about old buildings. I brought together a library of architectural books, the old masters, Vitruvius, the ten books of architecture, the classical orders, etc..

I soon realized what it was about the new houses in the new developments I didn't like. One was in the details and another was in the regulating lines. These two from many other elements were missing or just wrong according to the way the old builders designed and constructed.

The book describes it much better than I but this book explains why some new architecture is just plain ugly sometimes. The concept of regulating lines was new to me even though it was the main reason I liked or disliked an architecture. It may be new to you or maybe you know about it all ready but it relates to art and design and is in our lives each day. Look at some examples then look at your house or around your neighborhood, town or city.

It changed the way I finished the project, especially the windows, doors, trim, roof lines and returns.

http://www.google.com/images?q=regul...ed=0CB8QsAQwAA
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Driving around in LA there are still many house's that were built in the 20's & 30's and before that have that charm,but during the population explosion here the mass produced houses (Track Housing) put a end to the costume housing market,at least for the average buyer.So to make a profit and stay within a city's building code's Developers went for the one fits all plan,but it is a house and keep's the rain off me head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I ever have another house it would be more along the lines of what Le Corbusier's plan is. His is a design as far away from the Victorian aesthetic as possible. Instead of living in a house that needs constant maintenance and remodeling it would be free of ornamentation and excess. His quote that "a house is a machine for living in" is apt.

http://quazen.com/arts/architecture/...for-living-in/

To tie this to the workshop homework, which is 5 Churches in 5 days, I started to think about what is the architectural background on the churches, who designed and built them. Since I don't have a list of them before hand I can only ponder the question, later I can review what I've seen and see how they fit into what I know about architecture.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin