Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,336   Online: 965

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

I'm attending Jim's workshop this weekend (Aug 21 - 22) and according to this post he has room for one more. Though, it is soon. Perhaps Jim can chime in.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim is much in demand these days,I'm here in LA and that is to close to miss.And besides I did want to go with my daughter and she wont be here for two more weeks.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike c; 08-17-2010 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I'm printing today and tonight on my own tissue, first print is good, I've changed to AD from PD and trying Denril for support, in spite of the many changes I've managed to make a nice print. I'm on the next one, it's pressing right now and I'll be developing it pretty soon. Having a lot of fun with all the work but it's getting too hot to work in the day time even with an ac unit in the window. Apparently I got the glop formula and pigment load right. I'm taking notes in my Carbon notebook too. I want to make more negatives with a longer DR and make some thicker tissue. See what you got me doing?

Thanks
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn Curt, you're making me wish its already Saturday - I've got 2 days with Jim this weekend and I hope I can contain my self 'til then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ghostcount,once you take that class and start talking Carbon Curt will be your friend for life. I toke one of Jims classes around Jan oFeb,and Curt has not slowed down once.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL - I hope my wife will understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    LOL - I hope my wife will understand.
    My wife went to bed early one night last Winter when a UPS Freight truck arrived at my house as his last run for the day. It was starting to snow and the truck backed in and the driver opened up the back and on one Oak pallet was a NuArc exposure unit on the accessory stand with lots of extras. He used a pallet jack and put in the drive way, after he left I got it on a steel wheeled mover and nearly had it fall over on me. I put it in the garage and the next day my wife got to see what I bought. She didn't say a thing, I got lucky.

Now that I've explained what the printing process is and have shown her some prints I've made she is lot more accepting. I was introduced to Carbon transfer photography at a workshop demonstration by Vaughn Hutchins and was immediately intrigued, then I took the workshop with Per Volquartz and Jim at Per's house in Pasadena and made prints there, last Spring I attended a weekend Carbon printing workshop with Vaughn at Newport Oregon, there were only a few people there and it was just fantastic, the weather was great and the location was perfect, I made a few nice prints and advanced again.

Now I'm making my own tissue and really having a lot of fun, it's hard work but very rewarding. I wanted to learn Dye Transfer but it slowly disappeared before I could get set up, this is really perfect for me at this time of my life. It will take time to learn, more time to fully understand the variables and a lot longer to master.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! your wife is truly understanding - I can only dream a NuArc exposure unit. Though, my wife said the garage is mine as long as she has the final say with the house decor. The next day I was framing a small section for a darkroom.

I too took Per's Pt/Pd workshop but it was one on one. He told me about the combo he did with Jim and as soon as an opportunity with Jim came up I signed up. I hope 2 days is enough.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...I was introduced to Carbon transfer photography at a workshop demonstration by Vaughn Hutchins and was immediately intrigued...Curt
    "The first one is always free", said the Pusherman...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the nice comments. The nice thing about the Translight facility is that it is in a public darkroom facility that is really nice. Lot's of room and a great working space. Before I finalized things with Translight I was offering workshops and still am at my home/studio in Ventura. Randy is coming out this weekend for a little one on one. I've got some nice new tissue poured and I hope that anyone that comes has plenty of energy. It seems like when I get going I never stop. I think it is the way us crazy carbon printers work. I think that Vaughn would agree that it is nice to inspire other photographers with our passion for carbon printing. He certainly inspired me a couple of years ago.

I'm glad that Curt is "going for the Glop" and seems to be making some nice progress. The more you print the more this all makes sense. I do have one more spot available for this weekend so if someone would like to join us just send me a PM or an e-mail.

Thanks,

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin