Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 780

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just completed a 2 day workshop with Jim and it's one of the best investment I ever made in photography. Jim is a wealth of information - he imparted to me not only in carbon printing but gave me hints and tips in all aspects of photography. I'm in debted to him because the knowledge I received from Jim was worth more than anything I can gain by myself.

I highly recommend on keeping tabs with Jim for his availability and sign up for his workshops. Don't be afraid to call him because he is very reasonable and accomodating. I've been enlightened in carbon printing by one of the few experts. PM me if you have questions on my experience.

Thank you so much Jim.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Randy, thanks for being a great student. You followed the procedures and went home with several nice prints to frame. When one sees the mechanics of carbon printing it makes it easier to make progress. Carbon printing is a labor of love and it was nice to show you the whole process. The real bonus was sending you home with some nice carbon prints to frame.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just a reminder that the sign up deadline for the workshop is this Friday the 18th. Get your deposits in to me so I can get you on the list.
    Thanks,

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I'm off to the workshop in New Mexico in the morning and I have four 4X5 carbon transfer prints to show, Per said bring 3 prints per person, I have some other ones too but it's the first time out in public for the carbon prints. I know that 4X5 is small but when presented with 4 ply cut mats on 11x14 they look quite nice. I flattened them in the dry mounting press but remembered that you use tape so I used some archival tape and did the same to fasten them to the mount then hinged the over mat.

I want to thank you and Vaughn for all of the help in learning the process. When I get back I'm going to clean house and get going at carbon printing with new energy. I have two pounds of AD now and have switched to it from PD.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Jim, I'm off to the workshop in New Mexico in the morning and I have four 4X5 carbon transfer prints to show, Per said bring 3 prints per person, I have some other ones too but it's the first time out in public for the carbon prints. I know that 4X5 is small but when presented with 4 ply cut mats on 11x14 they look quite nice. I flattened them in the dry mounting press but remembered that you use tape so I used some archival tape and did the same to fasten them to the mount then hinged the over mat.

I want to thank you and Vaughn for all of the help in learning the process. When I get back I'm going to clean house and get going at carbon printing with new energy. I have two pounds of AD now and have switched to it from PD.

Curt
    Curt, have fun and be sure to say high to everyone for me. I know there are several people there who have seen my carbon prints and it is nice to know that Vaughn and I helped you on your way with carbon printing. I'm glad you have some work framed so congratulations. I wish I could have gone but the day job is keeping me in town as is a private workshop I'm teaching at my place this weekend.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Have a great time in New Mexico, Curt! You will have fun photographing with the carbon printing process in mind.

Two pounds of Ammonium dichromate! That should last you a few years!!!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn, Jim, I met Dick Sullivan in Santa Fe and had a great time out there, first time in the area in fact. Jim, Dick said the Carbon prints you sent him were very impressive, he liked them a lot. I wish that Vaughn was was there in Yosemite a few days ago, I could have used some help with locations. The park is getting so overcrowded these days that people pop up on the ground glass like Wack-a-moles. Anyway it was a great trip, three weeks, way too much stimulation and way to much to take in but I would not have missed it for the world.

Now that my Carbon printing is coming along I only have to solve some hundreds of little things to perfect it. I have a lot of film to develop and will be busy for a while. I'm still coming down from the last leg of the journey, Redding to Everett. There were some parts that I didn't see because I was talking about something and my wife was tuning me out but didn't interrupt so I spaced out and lost track of time. Entire stretches of highway were missing, cruise control, some music, and a good conversation with myself got me through. The rental car was a Nissan Altima 2.5 Liter engine which was a full sized car they say, it go no less than 30.5 miles per gallon. It was large enough to hold all my stuff and was very fast on the get go. Very impressive.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin