Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,305   Online: 769

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took their course back in the mid-80s and still have all the booklets. Pretty comprehensive and I used their film developing booklet as a refresher to developing my own B&W. I actually reread most of it recently to get myself back into photography and one thing nice about my version is that it was still focused on film. I think the course now might be focused on digital but I'm not sure of that. Also some the other topics covered besides photography basics, i.e. wedding, portraits, sports, you might getaway with just reading things off of the Internet and save some money there instead of getting the booklets. This is assuming that the course is set up the same way as it was back then, with the photography basics first sent then the other information later on.
    Last edited by CD55; 09-27-2010 at 12:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I took it in 1998. I liked it.

I took the NYIP course in 1998 and liked it a lot. Now they have more on DVD's but then they had VHS tapes. It is expensive. I sent for information and didn't enroll and then a few months later they did drop the price. I still didn't sign up but waited about a year later and decided to go ahead with it. Ofcourse I paid the full price of about $700 but I got a lot out of it. The big help was when I would send in pictures and the pro photographer would tell me where I went wrong. My pictures improved after the course and I also understood things that I read in magazines when they mentioned things that I had learned about. I have read many reports on the net about people that took the course and I don't think I have heard many that were disappointed. They emphisize improving the 'eye' and don't go into a lot about how you need this lense or this filter. As a matter of fact, they are sort of against most filters as being detrimental to improving the picture. If you have the money, I'd go for it. Ric.

Shooter
    35mm
    My father taught commercial and color photography at NYIP in the '50's and early 60's... it was outstanding... but it was brick and mortar then, with the best equipment and instructors, totally hands on.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ann, I have plenty of business experience, owning an running my own business. I want to learn about how to see, compose, strategies as to when and why use would choose one focal length over another. Reasons of when and where a shot may be improved with the use of a filter and of course darkroom techniques beyond the basic stuff.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind though, success out of remotely managed and distant education (of any kind), highly depend on students. Some people learn better when taught locally with sight, touch, and direct feedback/discussion, and some can learn better by reading and experimenting on their own. Personally, I need both and I strongly prefer ones locally.

You might look into your local college, talk to the professor and students, and possibly art schools if you have one near by. I was going to take a course at a local community college and only due to technicality, I'm waiting until the next term to register.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Our own Ann, teaches at the Spruill Art Center here in the Atlanta area and have considered signing up for her course but it is all the way on the other side of the city and the Atlanta metro area is VERY large.
    I have though about the University of GA which is close by for me. I seem to have to teach my self how to do everything and would like some real help on my photography.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took the courses in 2001. I outgrew it before I finished it and never did. I much prefer a hands on, look me in the eye approach. I'm gonna tell you, the deans seem to be great guys. My advisor was a very personable fellow, his name fails me.

It is up to you. Seems that a couple of great books and a couple of workshops and have money left over for film and paper.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin